Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn - Shadow on the rings?

Bart

Hello all,

With the abysmal weather, the scopes seem to be very idle recently. Despite the lack of proper darkness I went out to have a look at Saturn in the 10". Seeing was awful mostly, but had decent glimpses. I could spot the Cassini Division most of the time but during periods of decent seeing I though I could see the planets shadow on the further side of the rings. Am I imagining this? I could just see a dark line separating the planet from the rings going around the back. This was at about 200x

Also spotted a few early Autumn clusters etc low in the east. Come on Autumn! But only afetr a decent Summer of course, the tent and BBQ are poised to go into action.........

Barry

I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about, but as opposition was over two months ago now I don't see why the Sun, Earth, Saturn angle wouldn't allow you to see some shadow detail.

As I said though, I have no idea what I am talking about! :grin:

I recently attended an excellent talk at our local astronomy soc in Norwich about "Saturn" by Mike Foulkes, which he mentioned about seeing the planet's shadow. So I had a look for my self a few night ago. Sure enough I could see it from time to time. So I'm sure you did see it too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep. Had lovely views of it again the other night. The seeing seemed surprisingly good considering the heat and how low it is now. Shadow clearly visible, and Saturn sharp up to x160 with a Nag zoom, nice for such a little scope.

Stu

Agreed Nick. Had the 106 on it at x197 last night and it looked lovely despite being low and above the houses. Cassini and shadows both nicely evident, plus hints of the crepe ring

Stu

Archived