NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best web cam for planets

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife has been hassling me about sorting out a summer holiday this year, too :) If western Europe turns out to be as cold this summer as they are predicting, Romania and Bulgaria might look like very nice options...

James

spc 900nc Purchased

Thanks everyone

Where did you get the SPC 900 from? And do you mind if I ask how much? I keep my eye on ebay for them but they only ever go for silly money, although Im getting drawn more and more to them.

its quiet shock the old supply and demand, these were as low as £4.00 iirc

They were when I bought mine. But as you say that was when they were just thought of as an outdated webcam to be off-loaded cheap and make back a bit of cash on, before people really caught on to how good a planetary camera they were.

James

Well, if someone wants to pay £80 for it let them. By the time they've bought an IR filter and nosepiece the total cost will be nearer £120 or even more depending on which filter they buy. That's getting into second hand DFK21 (and other dedicated planetary camera) territory.

James

There is of course the other end of the spectrum where (stupid?) people are willing to pay silly money for an SPC900. I was watching this one over the past few days on ebay and it eventually went for £155 !!! Ridiculous...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Long-Exposure-LX-Mod-Philips-SPC-880-900-Astro-Webcam-with-Filter-/271211133414?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=EMxeJiEIBTs%252BZOEYgzdQeJ83MxM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Mike

I had the spc900, and upgraded to a DMK21 mono for lunar work, i imaged saturn in mono last week and it looks really odd with out colour, wish i had kept my spc now as well as dmk

Interesting to see that nobody has mentioned the Celestron NexImage webcam.

Speaks volumes. Over-priced and a bit of an under-achiever for its price.

Oh i remember the days when the Phillips could be bought for ext to nothing. Then there was a huge demand and the price went skywards overnight. Now you are lucky if you can find one.

Its a bit like the TAL 2X Barlow. Cant find them for love nor money now unless second-hand and anyone who has one doesnt want to sell unless for a good price.

If it's mono then you shoot R,G,B +/- some luminance channel. More work, more advanced but the results may be also much better.

sounds like a cop out but never got time to shoot RGB, so tend to stick to lunar, i am very keen on lunar imaging so not a big problem

Archived