NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Atik 314L+ with Camera lens for widefield?

There are adapters that take a camera lens, provide a mounting point and fit to a camera. I can't for the life of me remember who makes them at the moment unfortunately, but I know they're not exactly cheap. One problem you may run into is that you ideally want a filter wheel to do (L)RGB imaging and the lenses have a fixed backfocus distance to match the flange-to-sensor distance of the camera for which they were intended. Few filter wheels are narrow enough to work.

I'll see if I can find a thread about it.

James

Std camera lens usually need a 44-45mm distance from the back face to the CCD - being designed for DSLR etc.

This limits the space to fit filters etc etc etc

If you just want to use it as a mono then, you can make your own adaptor from a empty spacer ( the one's that come from x2 camera convertors, macro adaptors etc) and have a T thread glued in place for attachment.

I have such an adaptor fitted with a short 1.25" female and use the ATiK16ic with a nosepiece on a 135mm Zuiko lens as an electronic finder.

You can use the freeware CCDCalc to determine the field of view coverage.

HTH

Geoptik are indeed the manufacturer I was thinking of. I just couldn't bring the name to mind. Good job someone is on the ball :)

It is unfortunately offensively expensive. For the same money I can probably buy a vertical slide for my lathe, make one and be a vertical slide up (as it were). Or, at least, hopefully I will be able to once I get more practised.

James

I do wonder if this could be achieved with an EOS - M42 adapter and a small amount of metalwork? Like you say, >£100 is a bit much!

Well, it is Italian. They probably had it designed by Bertone or Pininfarina :)

If the lens will take a tripod mount then it shouldn't be hard to make one. If you don't want a filter wheel then I reckon it would be fairly trivial to do as well. I think the problems start when you have a lens that doesn't easily take a tripod mount and you want a filter wheel in the optical train. Hopefully any such lens would be short and light enough that the camera tripod mount could be used.

Once I finish my current lathe projects I might have a go at this. It would mean I could potentially fit my ASI120 to a camera lens. Not entirely sure how much use that would be, but I'm sure I'll think of something :)

James

The original post was about lenses. The Samyang 85 Prime is worth considering. I used it for this 6 panel of Orion.

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-V9SQcqS/0/X3/ORION%2085MM%20LENS%20HaOSC%206%20PANEL-X3.jpg

I only used it on that project, in fact. I guess I should sell it. I had it on the Geoptik adapter but I thought Gerd Neumann had made a filter slide drawer? Not sure about that.

Olly

Olly,

You're correct - Gerd Neumann:

The main body of the filter drawer system is available with a wide range of threads.

Versions with mounting holes for SBIG cameras (classic body) is also available. If you use a mainbody with a female M48 thread on the telescope side, you can use your older lenses from Olympus and Nikon with your CCD camera with the filter drawer system. Mainbodies with a Canon EOS bajonett are also available. You may use your Canon lenses on your CCD camera and you may switch filters! We do need to know some specs to reach the correct backfocus.

End Quote

http://www.gerdneumann.net/english/filterzubehoer-filter-accessories/filter-drawer-system-filter-schubladen-system.html

Another option is to use lenses with a longer backfocus - im currently working on a set up for my Mamiya 645 lenses and SX 694 camera and filter wheel. The Mamiya lenses have a back focus distance 63.5mm which provides plenty of room for a filter wheel. Mamiya lenses are quite cheap and the APO lenses are excellent quality. These guys made me a Mamiya 645 - T adapter, did a superb job even with my drawings and at a good price too - much cheaper than any commercial available adapters.http://www.srb-griturn.com My next Job is how to mount the lens etc to a dovetail - more dodgy drawings.

Archived