NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M57 Ring Nebula 26 May

kirkster501

RC8 scope - no FR - with Canon 450d. 30 x 120s lights, 20 x Darks, 20 flats + Bias. T shirt flats did not work (need proper flat panel to cover the aperture). This would be great I think with a CCD such as a 314L.

Difficult subject this I found to process. Suggestions, comments, critiques very welcome.

Steve

post-16295-0-17716000-1369671220_thumb.j

Considering this is all from 2 minute subs the detail is nice, I do like the image. However, I do think it could be improved from longer exposures.

I think M57 looks rather white too, it's more an orangey / red outer layer then a blue-green centre. But then again, choice of colour is personal preference :).

Nice one Steve, not an easy subject M57 with it being so small.

Always a good indication of a good image - nice round stars.

Well done.

BTW Can you summarise your processing: Software, processing steps etc... Might help?

cheers

Steve

Thankyou guys. I was struggling to get my guiding going on the night. Maximum I could get without eggy stars was 120s subs. I think I may have found the issue to that - clamp bolts were not as tight as they should have been. Can;t test it now though due to weather :(

Al I did was stack in DSS with default settings and a layers and curves in PS3 (that I bought from a friend last week). In my post-processing all I know how to do is those two steps at this stage in my AS career :)

I agree the colours are a bit over-cooked. Need to go back and take another look at some point.

Rgds, Steve

Nice shot Steve.I think you are right about it would be a good one for a ccd like the 314L.It would be great to do a LRGB and Ha with an 8" I think this would then show up the outer shell very nicely

Archived