Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How good is this mount?

emadmoussa

Celestron CG-5 GOTO Equatorial Mount

I'm receiving a C11 XLT and it comes with this mount. I actually have the NEQ6 and thinking I might not need it. It is worth keeping?

Is it a computerized EQ5-like version?

Also, can you use the handset for the NEQ6?

cg5newnew.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celestron handset is not compatible with Skywatcher.

Unless you want portability, there is nothing CG5 will do that your EQ6 won't do better

With a few minor differences, the CG5 GT is essentially EQ5 GOTO with servo motors

Celestron handset is not compatible with Skywatcher.

Unless you want portability, there is nothing CG5 will do that your EQ6 won't do better

With a few minor differences, the CG5 GT is essentially EQ5 GOTO with servo motors

OK then, there will be a brand new CG5 GT for sale then :D

Like Keith, i can't think of much of a reason why you'd use the CG5 instead of the NEQ6, especially for a chunky scope like the C11.

I would only keep it if I thought I might use both mounts at the same time. e.g. DSLR for widefield on the CG5 with C11 on the NEQ6.

Like Keith, i can't think of much of a reason why you'd use the CG5 instead of the NEQ6, especially for a chunky scope like the C11.

I would only keep it if I thought I might use both mounts at the same time. e.g. DSLR for widefield on the CG5 with C11 on the NEQ6.

I am not, I was just asking since I got a deal and I'm basically getting almost free brand-new mount.

Probably for visual ...

Even then, it would be wobbly. I have a C8 on a GP mount, which is what the EQ5 was cloned from. Even with the excellent Vixen engineering, I would never put the bulk of a C11 on it. Even the comparatively slight extra weight of the 14x70 finder I have mean you need an extra counterweight, especially when using heavy EPs like the 31T5. It is not that the mount will collapse, vibrations will not damp down quick enough, even for visual work. For the GP mount, Vixen uses a maximum rating (not in kilograms, for a very good reason) of an 8" SCT or Mak, a 6" Newtonian, or a 4" refractor. Weight and moment of inertia (torque) play a role in this

Even then, it would be wobbly. I have a C8 on a GP mount, which is what the EQ5 was cloned from. Even with the excellent Vixen engineering, I would never put the bulk of a C11 on it. Even the comparatively slight extra weight of the 14x70 finder I have mean you need an extra counterweight, especially when using heavy EPs like the 31T5. It is not that the mount will collapse, vibrations will not damp down quick enough, even for visual work. For the GP mount, Vixen uses a maximum rating (not in kilograms, for a very good reason) of an 8" SCT or Mak, a 6" Newtonian, or a 4" refractor. Weight and moment of inertia (torque) play a role in this

That's the thing, it does come with extra counterweight. I just don't understand why this mount is supposed to be part of the package. the payload for visual is 9 KG only, so basically if you place the C11 on it - which is 12Kg - it'll drive it to death for sure.

Well, it'll work well with the ED80 though...even for imaging. Let's see, unless my NEQ6 is back from repairs soon, I'll have to give this one a go. Not with the C11 of course. :)

There are some excellent deals on the OTA and mount package at the moment, but sure you'll have no problems finding a buyer for the CG5 GT if you decide not to keep it.

Would be nice for a light weight imaging rig or a light(er) weight visual mount to take out and about.

I would be worried about snapping the counterweight bar!

Talk about over the top!

I had a CG-5 with a WO FLT98 on it. It would wobble if you looked *at* it - let alone through it.

Since upgraded to a CGEM-DX. That didn't wobble even when my mate tripped over the mount whilst I was looking through the scope!

Cheers

Ian

I would be worried about snapping the counterweight bar!

Talk about over the top!

I had a CG-5 with a WO FLT98 on it. It would wobble if you looked *at* it - let alone through it.

Since upgraded to a CGEM-DX. That didn't wobble even when my mate tripped over the mount whilst I was looking through the scope!

Cheers

Ian

That surprises me. My C8 weighs just a bit less than a WO FLT98 OTA, and sits beautifully on the Vixen GP, even when burdened with the additional weight of a 70mm frac as finder, a Denkmeier filter-switch diagonal, and a Nagler 31T5 "Panzerfaust" (see below). My OTA is only a bit shorter than the FLT98, so I would guess my mount could take it easily (certainly for visual).

post-5655-0-79447100-1368128040_thumb.jp

post-5655-0-10682400-1368128075_thumb.jp

That surprises me. My C8 weighs just a bit less than a WO FLT98 OTA, and sits beautifully on the Vixen GP, even when burdened with the additional weight of a 70mm frac as finder, a Denkmeier filter-switch diagonal, and a Nagler 31T5 "Panzerfaust" (see below). My OTA is only a bit shorter than the FLT98, so I would guess my mount could take it easily (certainly for visual).

Hi. That mount looks significantly sturdier than a CG-5. At first glance I thought it was a CGEM.

"Nagler 31T5 "Panzerfaust". Love it! Still chuckling!

I have one - stunning are they not!

Cheers

Ian

Hi. That mount looks significantly sturdier than a CG-5. At first glance I thought it was a CGEM.

"Nagler 31T5 "Panzerfaust". Love it! Still chuckling!

I have one - stunning are they not!

Cheers

Ian

According to many, the EQ5 is a Vixen GP clone, and the CG5 is a clone of the EQ5. Many say that the GP is better engineered than the early EQ5s, but the SW have improved matters later. I had thought that the CG5 would be in the same ball-park as the GP, maybe I am wrong.

I used to have a CG5 dial drive (not GOTO) and it carried scopes up to and including a 6" F/8 refractor well enough for visual astronomy. The 2" steel tripod the CG5 comes with makes it more stable than the EQ5 and a bit taller too, which is good for refractors.

I agree that the C11 would be too much though.

Selling undermounted scopes has been fairly common place for years though. I guess it's all about hitting that price point :rolleyes2:

The Vixen equivalents are much better engineered as Rik says.

Just checked the specs on the C11. It has a focal length of 2800mm !!!!!!!

On a CG-5?

Never in a million years! They are 'avin a laff!

I've got a CG-5. I use it as my UAT* environment. So I can test software with it before using it for real on my CGEM-DX.

BTW - Don't extend the legs. It's pretty dodgy with the legs down (i.e not extended). With the legs up????? Jelly on a plate at that focal lenght!

Cheers

Ian

*UAT = User Acceptance Test. I am a software wonk. We test our stuff on a copy or as close as we can get to that of the real deal. CG-5 is my UAT - my CGEM-DX is the real deal - for me.

Just checked the specs on the C11. It has a focal length of 2800mm !!!!!!!

On a CG-5?

Never in a million years! They are 'avin a laff!

I've got a CG-5. I use it as my UAT* environment. So I can test software with it before using it for real on my CGEM-DX.

BTW - Don't extend the legs. It's pretty dodgy with the legs down (i.e not extended). With the legs up????? Jelly on a plate at that focal lenght!

Cheers

Ian

*UAT = User Acceptance Test. I am a software wonk. We test our stuff on a copy or as close as we can get to that of the real deal. CG-5 is my UAT - my CGEM-DX is the real deal - for me.

Yep, we can be UAT buddies in this case :) Like I mentioned above, I have an NEQ6, the CG5 comes with the scope...Im just thinking whether to sell it or keep it...

Archived