Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

150p DS

My 150 arrived today, i will be updating this thread as i go along with my first newtonion for about 15 years, good and bad first impressions.....

opened the carton to find the OTA had moved around in the box, so even though the skies are clearing i dont hold much hope of a first light tonight, the polystyrene end blocks had broken, maybe the courier was having a "friday" day, but the ots seems ok, i dont see any sign of damage.

I see skywatcher supply just one ep, the superwide 25mm in 1.25 fit, and no paperwork at all, not even a warning to tell me NOT to view the sun with it, i would have thought there would be some leaflet showing what does what, poor show, ok for me but not good for a first timer new to the hobby.

It looks smart, in the current black diamond livery and white fittings, and its larger than i expected, so glad i did not get the 200p ds.

Will post up some pics when i get a chance, and a first light report when that happens, if i manage to use it tonight it will just be a star test

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a lovely addition to your sweet collection, Jules and I guarantee you're going to have some wonderful nights with the gem. A lot of folk fret about collimation but unless I'm doing something completely wrong - I have no idea for I know no one with a telescope where I live - it really isn't difficult. Seriously. But what I have found really useful especially when out in the field and the truss dob has taken its shaking is a set of Bob Knobs. They just make the job easier. I found this fellow's words a really big help when coming to intuitively grasp what was required - to get the picture in my head - and then only after that, deepening this understanding with Astro Baby's brilliant write-up and step by step guide on the subject.

I really look forward to your first light report. Hopefully, now, with the worst of Winter/Spring changes behind us, you'll have many fruitful evenings awaiting you.

Nice one Jules, it appears to seat itself very nicely on the AZ4. I hope we get a break this weekend so you can get to try it out and I can get to try Lara on my AZ4 also.

I bet you will be very happy with it and will start getting lured into those dso's now..;) I can even see you having a bash at imaging some now you have sussed that polar alignment thing on the eq5... :shocked:

Looking at the "down the tube" image I can see why I read a lot of posts on here regarding flocking . Are you going to go down that route? if so it would be good to hear a before & after assesment

Looking at the "down the tube" image I can see why I read a lot of posts on here regarding flocking . Are you going to go down that route? if so it would be good to hear a before & after assesment

I may well do the flocking mod....after i grasp collimation

Nice one Jules, it appears to seat itself very nicely on the AZ4. I hope we get a break this weekend so you can get to try it out and I can get to try Lara on my AZ4 also.

I bet you will be very happy with it and will start getting lured into those dso's now.. ;) I can even see you having a bash at imaging some now you have sussed that polar alignment thing on the eq5... :shocked:

I plan to have a little bash at some very basic imaging, just double stars and some brighter objects, my Olly pen camera is not best suited for this

That's a lovely addition to your sweet collection, Jules and I guarantee you're going to have some wonderful nights with the gem. A lot of folk fret about collimation but unless I'm doing something completely wrong - I have no idea for I know no one with a telescope where I live - it really isn't difficult. Seriously. But what I have found really useful especially when out in the field and the truss dob has taken its shaking is a set of Bob Knobs. They just make the job easier. I found this fellow's words a really big help when coming to intuitively grasp what was required - to get the picture in my head - and then only after that, deepening this understanding with Astro Baby's brilliant write-up and step by step guide on the subject.

I really look forward to your first light report. Hopefully, now, with the worst of Winter/Spring changes behind us, you'll have many fruitful evenings awaiting you.

I was hoping for a quick first light last night, might get a chance on sunday, will be having a trip over to Shanes for collimation lessons, he only lives about 30 miles away

My 150p (not pds) seemed to come a lot better, with instructions, and 2 eps and a Barlow. Does anyone know if there's much difference between the 150 p and pds in terms of performance? Ive been curious for a while

You're both very fortunate to live so close to each other. You ought to take along the Tal, so Shane can see what a lovely thing it is. I'd be interested to hear what you learn, Jules with this collimation business, so if you can take a couple of notes it would be handy. I think I've got it according to the text, but I never seen it in the real. This weekend looks like it'll be fun over here. Last night was a good evening but there just wasn't the time to get out to the scrub lands. This evening, however, my g/f is heading out with her mates, so I'm getting ready to pack up and head out with Shane's handcrafted wonder. I imagine he'll let you look through one of his own, so you'll get an idea of the phenomenal bit of kit he made for me. Hope you have a great Sunday together.

looks like i have a bit of a wait for first light :huh:

Ay, I remember when I got the Moonshane I was able to get out one or two nights and then baam, it wasn't until about a month later that I was able to head out again. There's something about Skywatcher's mirrors which attract cloud and rain :angry4:

I'm just about to buy a 14" SW :| looks like more clouds coming this way. You had any more luck with the scope Jules? I managed to get a sneaky our 2 days ago as the clouds parted right as I was going to bed.

still no luck with weather, and not looking good for weekend darn!

Glad you got the 150PDS Jules. Once you cracked collimation you may wish to flock the inside plus the focuser. Good luck with your first light.

Mark

Might well flock it, but need to get collimation sorted first, i feel sill not knowing how to do this

hi Jules. if you wanted to buy the flocking (I think one sheet might just do it but two defo) then I'd gladly do it for you / help you with it when you come over. it's an hour's job on a 6" f5.

that way you'll see a full collimation too.

Might well flock it, but need to get collimation sorted first, i feel sill not knowing how to do this

Don't know why jules up till now you've been a frac head.. and i am jealous that you will be getting a lesson from moonshane..

hi Jules. if you wanted to buy the flocking (I think one sheet might just do it but two defo) then I'd gladly do it for you / help you with it when you come over. it's an hour's job on a 6" f5.

that way you'll see a full collimation too.

cheers shane, i will pick up a roll, local shop has the "good stuff"

I only needed one roll to flock my 150 PDS. Jules is your local shop Wilkinsons?

Mark

Yes it is, i have a part roll in the house, might make a start on it, like inside focus tube, will grab a new roll saturday, looking forward to getting up and running with my first reflector in 15 years, funny thing, my last was a 150, from a uk manufacturer and i never got to see any thing with it

blumming hell Jules are you sure you don't have a temperature :D:D:D A reflector ??? are you coming over to the fast side mate ? One thing I noticed with my 150PDS was you need to make sure it's well collimated but once done the views are impressive for what is a relatively compact scope. I had to let mine go earlier in the year and have not had a day when I haven't regretted it. I will be interested to see what you think to the views given you are accustomed to slower and diffraction free scopes but there is no doubting you've got yourself a nice scope there mate.

blumming hell Jules are you sure you don't have a temperature :D :D:D A reflector ??? are you coming over to the fast side mate ? One thing I noticed with my 150PDS was you need to make sure it's well collimated but once done the views are impressive for what is a relatively compact scope. I had to let mine go earlier in the year and have not had a day when I haven't regretted it. I will be interested to see what you think to the views given you are accustomed to slower and diffraction free scopes but there is no doubting you've got yourself a nice scope there mate.

How do stranger, hope your well, just having a dabble, when at star parties i feel a bit left out, and the 150p ds is a nice little frac.....oops flector

I think you will enjoy it Jules. As long as you can learn to compromise with the demands these faster newts can make on EP's the wide field views you will gain will offer you a new perspective. It's also a nice size scope to grab and go to dark skies when ever the weather permits ;)

Archived