Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M104 - The Sombrero Galaxy

Sam

At about 30 million light years away this is quite an interesting and very distinctive galaxy. This is the first time I've been out in ages so it was great to get back into the setup and see how things work again. The difference in the setup now is I have an OAG, it's a 9mm one from TS. I think this has made a huge difference. It wasn't hard to find a guide star and it was probably good to use it first on a patch of sky that didn't have too many easy stars, unlike objects closer to the plane of the Milky Way. Since I updated the driver for the QHY-5 it seems to has a lot more noise so I was a bit worried about the guiding stability, but PHD handled it quite well and it never lost the guide star.

So this image is 32 exposures of 5mins giving a total of 2hrs and 40mins. The telescope is a 250px mounted on an EQ6 all run by EQMOD. The camera is a modded Canon 1000D. The conditions were a heavy dew and a fog slowly creeping up the valley, which is what ended the session. There was a frost this morning and it was pretty cold out there last night.

The software used was PHD to guide, CDC to align and get the scope pointing in the right direction, DSS for stacking and PixInsight for processing. The processing was pretty light, just curves and histogram stretching and I ran a very light deconvolution process to sharpen the image a little. Overall though there's not much processing.

post-1453-136804857911_thumb.jpg

:)

Thanks for the comments, tonight's effort is not going so well because of the wind. The obs blocks most of it but the atmosphere is very unstable.

That is lovely :) Time to mod my 1000D and see how big it is in my 80mm frac.

It was quite small on my 250px to DSLR so the image is cropped a bit, but it would still make a nice centrepiece in a wide field image. :)

Archived