SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ES 68deg 16mm Eyepieces

This makes no difference: It is physically impossible to produce that same level of magnification other than by reducing the aperture by other means such as a smaller scope. The two options are entirely equivilent, so nothing is lost.

I thought I was saying the same thing that Al Nagler was in the article linked to earlier in this thread ?.

Perhaps not :undecided:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This makes no difference: It is physically impossible to produce that same level of magnification other than by reducing the aperture by other means such as a smaller scope. The two options are entirely equivilent, so nothing is lost.

I thought John was talking about aperture, not magnification.

Magnification is determined by the focal lengths of the 'scope and the EP.

Aperture being the light gathering ability is down to the size of the mirror/lens or the exit pupil.

If the exit pupil is too large, you won't physically be able to receive all of the gathered light into the eye, hence the comparison with reduction in aperture.

Cheers

The key thing is; yes, you're reducing the aperture, but aperture-reduction (whether by iris or objective size) is the only mechanism to achieve that specific magnification value, regardless of the equipment at your disposal, so nothing is being "lost" by this process.

I often use the 35mm Panoptic in my F5.26 Mak/Newt and I don't find it a problem, in this case the exit pupil is very near to 7mm. You see the black shadow of the mirror as you approach the eyepiece but it goes as you get closer, maybe I am bang on the limit. Alan.

The key thing is; yes, you're reducing the aperture, but aperture-reduction (whether by iris or objective size) is the only mechanism to achieve that specific magnification value, regardless of the equipment at your disposal, so nothing is being "lost" by this process.

Sorry to continue off-topic, but maybe I'm being dull here!

I don't achieve a specific magnification by increasing/decreasing the aperture, I do that by using different focal length EPs or a different focal length 'scope.

Changing the aperture has no effect on the magnification of objects in my 'scopes.

Cheers

Accepting what the forum has posted, these Maxvision eyepieces were born out of what was a cancelled order from Meade. They have not done any of their customers any favours as a result. Take the subject in question the 16mm SWA, I paid about 140 pounds for this 4 years ago, or something around that figure, I forget now. It will really knock the stuffing out of anyone trying to sell an original Meade secondhand. I advertised a 4 month old 24mm UWA about 5 weeks back which I paid over 200 for and didn't get anywhere. I can see that if I stand any chance of selling it I will have to almost give it away. Yet another reason I wish I had started out with Pentax and Televue, they are cheaper in the long run.

Alan ( licking his wounds )

I advertised a 4 month old 24mm UWA about 5 weeks back which I paid over 200 for and didn't get anywhere.

Still around £200 new http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f1eefac81 which really makes the 79 euro one a bargain at about quarter the price, just for no Meade label. I see your point, the resale value of the Meade's will probably take a hit.

Accepting what the forum has posted, these Maxvision eyepieces were born out of what was a cancelled order from Meade. They have not done any of their customers any favours as a result. Take the subject in question the 16mm SWA, I paid about 140 pounds for this 4 years ago, or something around that figure, I forget now. It will really knock the stuffing out of anyone trying to sell an original Meade secondhand. I advertised a 4 month old 24mm UWA about 5 weeks back which I paid over 200 for and didn't get anywhere. I can see that if I stand any chance of selling it I will have to almost give it away. Yet another reason I wish I had started out with Pentax and Televue, they are cheaper in the long run.

I dunno about the forum, but the German site is fairly unambiguous about where they came from and you only have to look at them and imagine a different sticker to know where they were intended to go!

We can only image why this came about, but I feel your frustration.

I'm just waiting for the TV clones! :grin:

Will that be NagVision, Ethovision, Delovision ore even better TeleVision! :p

Cheers

That speculation was purely mine and I was clear that it was no more than that.

There are several details that do differ from the Meade SWAs, not least that the rubber grip/eye guard is the same as the UWA, but with the logo band removed. There is clearly a bit of parts bin raiding going on, but it is JOC's parts bin, not Meade's.

I hope for the sake of all the Meade SWA, UWA and for that matter, ES 68/82 owners, that the parts bin is limited in depth, but to be fair, the non stop ES 'sales' had done for Meade residuals, long before this short term event.

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD using chubby fingers. Sorry.

From this statement on the optical systems website it's quite clearly a one off and limited:

This performance for this price is a steal - get them while you can! As soon as the existing volume is sold, it´s over - there will be no chance for us to get a second shipment.

Cheers

No chance that the order was cancelled because the batch did not quite meet the Meade quality requirements then ?

Just speculating like Russell :smiley:

well to be fair john, i think thats the million dollar question. and if it proves to be up to meade standards then the folk (me included) who ordered these e/ps have got themselves a nice deal. if it turns out that otherwise, then thats the gamble i suppose. until someone reviews these maxivisions with some depth we'll not really know if they are a steal or not. theres alot of us now hopeing they are up to meade swa 5000 standards.

who ever gets a good first light with them be sure to leave some review / thoughts. ( he says with fingers crossed ) :smiley:

After the effort ES have gone to to build up a good reputation and become one of, if not the market leader on affordable quality eyepieces they are hardly going to risk being laughed at for selling poor quality unbranded kit are they.

High-end wide angle eyepieces with good edge sharpness for f/5. This unique occasion comes from a large order that didn´t happen in the end - thats how those incredible prices could be made possible. Those eyepieces have been in the market for some years with good customer acceptance under a well known brand label - now you have the unique chance to get those high-end eyepieces for a fraction of the regular price.

It doesn't take a genius to work out what they are after the recent speculation about a particular companies financial problems. I am pleased that they are doing this as it gives some of us who do not have deeper pockets a rare opportunity to get a little more pleasure out of our hobby.

After the effort ES have gone to to build up a good reputation and become one of, if not the market leader on affordable quality eyepieces they are hardly going to risk being laughed at for selling poor quality unbranded kit are they.

High-end wide angle eyepieces with good edge sharpness for f/5. This unique occasion comes from a large order that didn´t happen in the end - thats how those incredible prices could be made possible. Those eyepieces have been in the market for some years with good customer acceptance under a well known brand label - now you have the unique chance to get those high-end eyepieces for a fraction of the regular price.

It doesn't take a genius to work out what they are after the recent speculation about a particular companies financial problems. I am pleased that they are doing this as it gives some of us who do not have deeper pockets a rare opportunity to get a little more pleasure out of our hobby.

i concur matey, but again ,only time will tell. i hope they turn out a bargin .

ES would enhance their reputation even more by allowing UK dealers to offer their products at prices that compete with USA and EU pricing. Why the heck do we have to order through USA or EU dealers ?.

I don't know why I bother posting this point though as I seem to be the only one who feels this way :rolleyes2:

I'm sure the new owners of these will find them great though and they will get them hooked on ultra-wide field viewing :smiley:

ES would enhance their reputation even more by allowing UK dealers to offer their products at prices that compete with USA and EU pricing. Why the heck do we have to order through USA or EU dealers ?.

I don't know why I bother posting this point though as I seem to be the only one who feels this way :rolleyes2:

I'm sure the new owners of these will find them great though and they will get them hooked on ultra-wide field viewing :smiley:

I agree with you and I feel the same with regards to their UK prices. I think we Brits for some reason just seem to take this 'rip off Britain' on the chin get on and find our own ways around obstacles. We are good at that, we are used to obstacles.

I looked at importing some from the US but with the way things have been here work wise for the last few years I decided on other things instead like my frac.

I very much like the wider angled viewing and have more of a need for it now I am dobbing with my newt and I am very much looking forwards to trying out the 28 and 20 in this range. I would love to be able to afford some uwa tv's as I enjoy my tv plossls and recognise their quality as a craftsmen myself along with all the tv's I have had the pleasure to try. Unfortunately for now at least they are a little beyond me so like others that are taking a punt, I am hoping we are in for a treat as I think we (Brits) deserve one... :)

Edit; I/We work hard enough for it... ;)

And that was the basis for my speculation, but without explicit confirmation, speculation is all it is.

Russell

I agree with you and I feel the same with regards to their UK prices. I think we Brits for some reason just seem to take this 'rip off Britain' on the chin get on and find our own ways around obstacles. We are good at that, we are used to obstacles.

I looked at importing some from the US but with the way things have been here work wise for the last few years I decided on other things instead like my frac.

I very much like the wider angled viewing and have more of a need for it now I am dobbing with my newt and I am very much looking forwards to trying out the 28 and 20 in this range. I would love to be able to afford some uwa tv's as I enjoy my tv plossls and recognise their quality as a craftsmen myself along with all the tv's I have had the pleasure to try. Unfortunately for now at least they are a little beyond me so like others that are taking a punt, I am hoping we are in for a treat as I think we (Brits) deserve one... :)

Edit; I/We work hard enough for it... ;)

2 points.

One. Unless I'm mistaken, opticalsystems.com/explorescientific.de are on-line only and directly owned by the manufacturer from which all of the kit in question is sourced. I wouldn't expect a third party retailer with a high street frontage to finance, to be able to compete with that. Even if they had access to the same cost prices, they simply couldn't flog them for the same money. Heck, even a third party E-tailer like FLO couldn't get a deal that left them in with a shout.

Two. Why is nobody protesting that our colonial cousins aren't getting access to this same knockout pricing on these one time only EPs? Now the shoe's on our foot, the sense of fairness appears to have gone right out of the window, no?

Russell

Nothing wrong with intuitive speculation.

No, there isn't. But in one thread relating to the Maxvision EPs, I've already seen it stated that they are as result of a cancelled Meade order. If that statement came from my speculation, then I'm disassociating myself from it, until proven otherwise.

I find it intersting that at least one stocks/shares website has recenlty moved Meade from hold, to buy. It's only another opinion on the roller coaster that is Meade Optical, but reports of their imminent demise may yet prove to be exagerated.

My own personal opinion is that Meade have a strong brand image with an illustrious heritage. A company like JOC could see them as their Celestron, with Bresser already occupying the Skywatcher role. It's about time Synta had a proper rival....

Russell

2 points.

One. Unless I'm mistaken, opticalsystems.com/explorescientific.de are on-line only and directly owned by the manufacturer from which all of the kit in question is sourced. I wouldn't expect a third party retailer with a high street frontage to finance, to be able to compete with that. Even if they had access to the same cost prices, they simply couldn't flog them for the same money. Heck, even a third party E-tailer like FLO couldn't get a deal that left them in with a shout.

Two. Why is nobody protesting that our colonial cousins aren't getting access to this same knockout pricing on these one time only EPs? Now the shoe's on our foot, the sense of fairness appears to have gone right out of the window, no?

Russell

I would imagine that the retailer/buyer would already be having dealings with the maker to be able to secure and negociate such a deal. All sensible business transactions in this kind of situation go the biggest player in my understandings, helping to secure future business and trust.

Our colonial cousins as you say I doubt are receiving the knockdown pricing as it would be a little close to home.. That at least is my take on things..but what do i know as I can only speculate.

Archived