Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

star name help

Hi all I am getting frustrated trying to identify stars so I can set up my goto scope ie 2 star alinment my problem is the stars that I know are not always visable from my backgarden and I don't know any of the names of the ones I can see I know my handset tells me the name of the star but it might aswell be in latin what I am after is . is there a book I can use that tells me the names and position of the stars so when my scope says goto "x" I can look at book and say right that is there and slew my scope to the correct star hope you can help and thank you in advance for any help I have stellerium but I am after a book I can take out with me

I would suggest putting aside the scope for a little while, then go outside with a star map or planesphere with just your naked eyes and learning your way around the constellations and their brightest stars. Then when your scope suggests alignment stars you will have no problem knowing where to look. I would recommend the Phillips Planespheres.

Goto scopes have their uses but there is no substitute for learning the night sky.

I would suggest the Sky & Telescope Pocket Atlas by Roger W Sinnott, a very good guide and an atlas, not like Turn Left' which will be no help at all on the stars. Alternatively, I also use the Cambridge Double Star Atlas, much bigger pages and incredibly detailed.

The Philips "Guide to the Night Sky" might be a good cheap option if all you're wanting is a small book to let you find the brightest stars to align with. Alternatively, a planesphere might be useful.

There is a free program recommended at the start of the Binocular section called TUBA, if you have a printer, you can produce star maps to your own specific requirements, colour or black and white, then take outside with you in one of those clear plastic sleeve folders, otherwise, as has been recommended, Sky and Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas, or you may even want to consider the the purchase of Sky Atlas 2000 in at some time in the future which covers all of the night sky :)

John.

Hi all I am getting frustrated trying to identify stars so I can set up my goto scope ie 2 star alinment my problem is the stars that I know are not always visable from my backgarden and I don't know any of the names of the ones I can see I know my handset tells me the name of the star but it might aswell be in latin what I am after is . is there a book I can use that tells me the names and position of the stars so when my scope says goto "x" I can look at book and say right that is there and slew my scope to the correct star hope you can help and thank you in advance for any help I have stellerium but I am after a book I can take out with me

To be honest i have the same problem at times of the year because i am not too familiar with the night sky at different times of the year. I'm fine during autumn and winter but as soon as Spring/Summer hit..............i'm kind of lost a bit.

Stellarium is a great free online programme to use. SkySafari for android is also a great app.

There is also a great little book called Collins Gem:Stars which is a very handy pocket book with very easy to understand sky maps:

http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ianridpath.com/books/image/Gem.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ianridpath.com/books/gemstars.htm&h=500&w=356&sz=35&tbnid=14MB3BGhALPGTM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=64&zoom=1&usg=__7BhP2zfGHldfU2yYZ5_RMG9yRKY=&docid=z22RsnWDZAhOVM&sa=X&ei=_32KUYrTKpOIhQf51IGgBQ&ved=0CEwQ9QEwAw&dur=198

Archived