Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC1396 - 12 Pane Ha Mosaic (51.5 hours)

AndyUK

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again all - The encouragement to continue is most welcome... I've never been one for marathons (other than the chocolate kind that then became "Snickers"), but it looks like I might have to accept the challenge to finish this one...

Ian - I tried that zoom.it link... Although I put in a link to a 100% image, it returned a completely different image of a random girl sitting on a wall(!?). I'll try again sometime though, as it looks as though it could be very useful indeed...

I've been waiting for this one to appear, Andy and it was well worth the wait - a really fantastic image! Your dedication to this masterpiece has been admirable and worth every bit of the time it has taken you. I salute you!

Thanks again all :smiley:...

(Peter - Microsoft ICE looked after the tricky bit of stitching... and I've just realised that that's probably the first time I've ever praised a Microsoft product... and it's FREE!).

I've also managed to get zoom.it to stop presenting me with the random girl image, so for anyone who want's to see the Ha version "warts and all" (complete with obligatory noise - I'll try and do something about that next time!), here's the link

Thanks Rob / Davo :smiley:.

RGB? Hmmmmm... Someone else has also suggested that... I've obviously started on the OIII and hopefully I can get it and the SII before it disappears next year. Assuming I manage to get all that, I shall be close to a total integration time (at this resolution) of 150 hrs. Getting the RGB on top would mean yet another 36 panes... and probably another c. 70 hours(?). :rolleyes:

Unless I can afford to buy another camera (an Atik 460 would be nice - It would cover this field in just 4 panes) I think I might want to move onto something else...but I certainly won't rule it out. Neither the data nor IC1396 are going anywhere!

Fantastic work Andy....hats off to you!

To shoot some RGB for a star layer wouldn't take long....stars already have a good s/n ratio so you need very few subs, and RGB stars added to a full colour NB image would be spectacular....go on...you know you want to!

Cheers

Rob

Cheers again, both :smiley:...

Rob - I'm intrigued... I have two questions, one of which I'll ask now - How many exposures, and what length, would you advocate for adding an RGB star layer? That will be the easy bit I'm sure. (The other question I might need to ask later will be how to add it once I've got the data, but I'll do some of my own searching on that first!).

The number of stars in this field IS insane though - When I first showed this to my wife she thought someone had sneezed all over it :rolleyes:. I have also processed a starless version (using an action from J-P Metsavainio) which I may have another go at when I (finally!) complete the final version. I'm not sure I necessarily like it, but it does seem to show up the structure of the nebula better(?). I can also potentially use this as a layer on top of the "fuily-starred" version to tone the stars down a bit :smiley:...

Archived