Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AZ3 Alt Az mount

Will this mount be good for a small refractor and PST? need something lighter and easier to grab than setting up my HEQ5 everytime. Also is the a skywatcher dovetail on this mount? How will it cope when the scope is pointing high as i see there is no counter weight?

I use an ST120 on my AZ3. It's pushing things a bit, but a DIY counterweight would probably sort it. A smaller/lighter scope would be fine. It takes the PST quite comfortably. I modded mine to take a saddle for a dovetail. As sold it's really designed to for rings to be fitted. The PST would be a bit of a challenge in that respect.

James

There's no dovetail clamp on the mount , it requires appropriately sized rings bolting to it .

It does, but I modded mine in a similar manner to my EQ3-2 which is one of the old ones intended only for scope rings:

IMG_0057.jpg

James

I've had great success fro the iOptron Minitower Pro. Easy to set up, reliable, and blows peoples' minds at star parties in Regents Park when they look incredulously at Uranus, Neptune or some hard to find (in London's light polluted skies) DSO. I use mine with an 80mm and 123mm refractors and a Lunt LS80 DS. Very good software on board.....even finds comets, large asteroids and minor planets like Ceres.

Archived