3/8" T-nuts. Anybody know a good source?

I am looking for a couple of 3/8" T-nuts like this

36408902_l_2.jpg

for a project I am working on. No store here seems to stock them. I have seen places where you can order them online, but they either require me to buy 300 (bit much :rolleyes:), or they do allow me to order just one or two (for a very reasonable price of $0.10 apiece), but then charge $68 dollars shipping ( :eek: I kid you not!). Does anybody know of a good source in the UK rather than in the US.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi Mike

do they have to be 3/8ths? or would 8mm do? I buy them of ebay and need to order some soon. e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-M5-M6-M8-T-TEE-NUTS-PACK-OF-4-SPEAKER-PRONG-CABINET-/221213137199?pt=UK_DIY50 _Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&var=&hash=item338154992f or I tend to buy 25-60 at a time as it's not that expensive http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221210635227?var=520140311501&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Blimey, they're not easy to find (except for the expensive ones), are they?

There's no way you could use another style of fastening or change the bolt for a metric thread?

James

This is the only one I can find in the UK:

http://www.tizaro.com/product/FA28HB/approved-vendor-1xgj1-nut-16-prongs-100?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchantUK&utm_term=fasteners--nuts&utm_content=t-nuts-for-wood&utm_campaign=approved-vendor-1xgj1-nut-16-prongs-100&gclid=CK_btdL_97YCFTMRtAodkB0AdA

Could be worth dropping them an email to see if they can stick you a couple in the post in return for beer vouchers, or if they know of any suppliers who ship small quantities?

James

I live in the US and they are simply to find. I would look on Ebay and find a seller that will ship international. Here's one that ships from US to UK http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5ad2921ba9 It is a 20 piece lot.

It's the cost of the shipping though. That one is £2 for the nuts and £18 for the shipping. Turns a 10p per item nut into £1 per item.

James

Yeah I understand. I'm not a fan of high shipping either. It was just a thought since I figured if you bought in bulk it might justify the cost some what. It could also set you up to be the goto person for anyone in the UK that needed a source of them.

Try running a 3/8 tap through a metric one I have done similiar with 6mm seemed to work ok but will not be as strong as original but there is a good depth of thread.

I did think of that myself, and then thought "Noooo! That's too horrible!" :D

James

Try running a 3/8 tap through a metric one I have done similiar with 6mm seemed to work ok but will not be as strong as original but there is a good depth of thread.

Problem with that is that if I had a 3/8" tap, I would simply tap a thread in a thick aluminium plate, end of problem.

Here's one last link for you to ponder on and I'll give up lol. This is a 500 piece lot for 99.95 us which equates to about 20 cents each. http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a73f6c511

That may be 20 cents each, but it still is a lot of money for the two or three I need.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I may have two other solutions. One is to use a 3/8" female to 1/4" male adapter with a very wide flange a nearby camera store stocks. I could drill a hole as wide as the flange in the wood, and drill three holes in the flange to accept screws to firmly attach it. I might also use a female 3/8" to male M10x1 adapter some automotive stores stock. I want to attach my home brew alt-az mount, which sports an M10 thread to my Berlebach tripod (with the ubiquitous 3/8" thread). The flange from the camera store is more expensive than a single tee-nut, but the postage adds so much that it becomes the cheaper solution by far.

I bought a Berlebach direct from the manufactures but I bought the wrong mounting plate for a CG5, so I ended up with the 3/8" camera top plate and then had to buy a replacement for my CG5 (M10?)

Now I have 2 mount plates, a celestron and a 3/8". Cost of replacement plate was approx 110 euro couple of years back. they are all interchangeable

I bought just the 3/8" to 1/4" insert to fit to the ball head I have. Honestly can't recall where I bought to from, but if you need several it's probably cheaper to find the actual t-nuts.

James

Archived