Saturn May 2nd Colour cam with IR filter.

Seeing was pretty rough but trans was very good. Tried using the IR pass filter with the QHY colour cam as had been discussed on Jame's thread. Also included straight colour and IR colour combo.

The colour cam still managed 30fps with the IR filter at 100% gain though histo was down to 30%. Frame rate without the IR pass was 40fps and 88% Gain with 50% histo.

I reckon for anyone struggling with a colour cam the IR pass 742 at £34 is a good punt when seeing is poor and trans is good.

IR 742 QHY colour cam :

gallery_4016_412_5421.png

Straight colour :

gallery_4016_412_33427.png

IR Colour combo:

gallery_4016_412_34010.png

Interesting. I am toying with the idea of a filter slide to allow me to do this with my cameras because the filter wheel is too heavy.

Of course what I should really do is get the obsy built and kick over to the C9.25, but I have been given a list of jobs to do about the house by my wife that covers three columns on a sheet of A4 before I am allowed to do "fun" stuff. I am therefore doing what any sensible husband does. I'm finding reasons I can't start them because of something she hasn't done yet :)

James

Interesting. I am toying with the idea of a filter slide to allow me to do this with my cameras because the filter wheel is too heavy.

Of course what I should really do is get the obsy built and kick over to the C9.25, but I have been given a list of jobs to do about the house by my wife that covers three columns on a sheet of A4 before I am allowed to do "fun" stuff. I am therefore doing what any sensible husband does. I'm finding reasons I can't start them because of something she hasn't done yet :)

James

Haven't you explained to her that Saturn wont be this "good" again for another 10 yrs??? When my lady asks why I'm going out late for a 3rd consecutive night I make this quite clear! :evil:

Cheers Simon & Michael!

Forecast shows good seeing for tonight so will be having another crack. This time with the 5x powermate. I'm not happy with the 3x Tal producing off colour images. Even the DFK shots have false colour in the rings something I don't get with the powermate but the images are gonna be 1.5x larger with the QHY cams but hey if seeing is good I might just get away with it.

Nice work Stuart. Good to see you managing to get the filter working with the colour cam.. Interesting that you found seeing poor and trans good. For my location I had completely the opposite!!!

It was like looking through treacle. Also clouds rolled in just after midnight to end things.

Good luck for tonight. I think ill give it a miss...3 very late nights on the trot and work each following morning!!

Regards

Pete

Nice work Stuart. Good to see you managing to get the filter working with the colour cam.. Interesting that you found seeing poor and trans good. For my location I had completely the opposite!!!

It was like looking through treacle. Also clouds rolled in just after midnight to end things.

Good luck for tonight. I think ill give it a miss...3 very late nights on the trot and work each following morning!!

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete its weird how things vary in different parts of the country. Looking at the sky this evening I've got a feeling visibility will be poorer tonight. Yes 3 nights in a row is pushing it lol Reminds me of March 2012 and several Mars nights on the trot.

Thanks Michael.

Here is a mono IR from last night :

gallery_4016_412_23421.png

Archived