NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Panstarrs - first time comet shot

Hey all

This is my first attempt at a comet. Taken on 31 April, it was pretty low in the sky (28 degs) and unfortunately in that direction there is a lot of light pollution. I had a variety of exposures but settled on 6 min shots which in hindsight is a bit too long.

I stacked 6 x 6mins in DSS and used the comet option to stack stars and comet separately. Resulting image looked a bit red and I've tried to remove as much as possible.

I don't have 6 min darks so I only added flats and bias to the stack.

All comments on how I can improve are welcome :grin:

post-15911-0-88016500-1367486289_thumb.j

I really like that image. I'm not the best at processing so really can't advise. What processing sw do you use?

I'm reeeeally glad you posted as I'll like to know how to use the comet option. I've never used it! I've been struggling to remove the comet trailling in PS but with no success. Can you help here?

I really like that image. I'm not the best at processing so really can't advise. What processing sw do you use?

I'm reeeeally glad you posted as I'll like to know how to use the comet option. I've never used it! I've been struggling to remove the comet trailling in PS but with no success. Can you help here?

I used DSS software. Added the usual lights, flats, and bias. (I would have added darks if I had some).

You then select each light frame in turn and select the comet (http://deepskystacke...m#cometstacking). Once selected hit save.

Repeat for all light frames.

Choose the comet stacking option under Options - Settings - Stacking Settings. (I chose 'Stars + Comet Stacking') NOTE: I had to use this menu path as the normal settings button when registering didn't show the Comet tab.

Then register the pictures.

Stack the checked pictures.

Done.

My 6 min subs had visible trailing of the comet but once stacked the trailing was gone. A good job by DSS.

A single 6 min sub on left and a stacked 6 x 6 min on right

post-15911-0-07803500-1367497214.png post-15911-0-09505400-1367497564.png

Looking again under 'zoom scrutiny' the stack still shows some trailling but it is better.

31st of April are we on a new calendar now. LOL

It felt like a long night. Started on 30th and didn't go to bed until the 1st May. :grin:

Summer time observing is a late affair.

I used DSS software. Added the usual lights, flats, and bias. (I would have added darks if I had some).

You then select each light frame in turn and select the comet (http://deepskystacke...m#cometstacking). Once selected hit save.

Repeat for all light frames.

Choose the comet stacking option under Options - Settings - Stacking Settings. (I chose 'Stars + Comet Stacking') NOTE: I had to use this menu path as the normal settings button when registering didn't show the Comet tab.

Then register the pictures.

Stack the checked pictures.

Done.

My 6 min subs had visible trailing of the comet but once stacked the trailing was gone. A good job by DSS.

A single 6 min sub on left and a stacked 6 x 6 min on right

post-15911-0-07803500-1367497214.png post-15911-0-09505400-1367497564.png

Looking again under 'zoom scrutiny' the stack still shows some trailling but it is better.

Great! Many thanks!

Archived