SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How do you become a Moderator?

Now I am not putting myself up for election, but I am intrigued as to how you become a Moderator. Are you invited or do you have to apply? How is it done?????

Sorry for this totally left-field question, but someone had to ask it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't speak for these forums but on one other that I subscribe to you have to bribe the management with large quantities of jaffa cakes.

Well, they are very persuasive :)

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk, so please excuse the speeling and granma! :)

I can't speak for these forums but on one other that I subscribe to you have to bribe the management with large quantities of jaffa cakes.

I now have this view of feeding caged moderators with jaffa cakes through the bars ;)

I always imagine its some kind of battle royal deal - 30 potential mods are left alone with an assortment of weapons. Whichever one survives not only wins their freedom but gets the complementary banhammer.

Seriously, we look for members who have a positive influence on the SGL community. They need to be calm, have lots of common sense and a sense of humour. They also need to be stoical and have a thick skin because their essential behind the scenes work is normally only noticed when they trip up. And they need be neutral, considerate and not take advantage of their position.

Fortunately we have been able to find people with the right qualities :cool:

Seriously, we look for members who have a positive influence on the SGL community. They need to be calm, have lots of common sense and a sense of humour. They also need to be stoical and have a thick skin because their essential behind the scenes work is normally only noticed when they trip up. And they need be neutral, considerate and not take advantage of their position.

Fortunately we have been able to find people with the right qualities :cool:

I hope the criteria includes a level or reasonable non-exaggerated political correctness. I had previously a post temporarily removed simply because I described a large eyepiece as a hand grenade :)

I hope the criteria includes a level or reasonable non-exaggerated political correctness. I had previously a post temporarily removed simply because I described a large eyepiece as a hand grenade :)

emadmoussa, Was that post not reinstated and an explanation given?

.... They also need to be stoical and have a thick skin because their essential behind the scenes work is normally only noticed when they trip up....

... I had previously a post temporarily removed simply because I described a large eyepiece as a hand grenade...

We rest our case :police:

The photo used in your post caused it to be temporarily removed while it was discussed.

Moderation is rarely black or white, it is normally one of several shades of grey.

emadmoussa, Was that post not reinstated and an explanation given?

Yep, sorry. Should've mentioned that as well. But I was surprised at the reaction to begin with...

Plus, I had to contact the administration to check why I couldn't see my post anymore.

We rest our case :police:

The photo used in your post caused it to be temporarily removed while it was discussed.

Moderation is rarely black or white, it is normally one of several shades of grey.

Thanks for reinstating anyway.

Yep, sorry. Should've mentioned that as well. But I was surprised at the reaction to begin with...

Looking at the logs, your posts have been discussed a number of times...

The OP asked how someone becomes a mod, hopefully we have answered that. Please don't use this thread as a channel for complaints.

As you had the post reinstated and an explanation was given, why did you feel the need to bring it up again?

Did we not apologise hard enough the first time?

I know you are going to say that incident had relevance to this the thread heading.... But it doesn't............

Archived