NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

obsy maintenance

Daniel-K

with the nice weather and 5days off work i striped the side of the osby, to refit the ship lap. as this is the side that takes most of the weather so the shiplap had separated. i then painted the side with some stuff from aldi which to my surprise wasn't too bad gave a nice finish. its important to maintain your obsy to keep it looking well :)

post-6284-0-64327800-1367255863_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-62080000-1367256030_thumb.jp

mines just under a year old i found the stuff like creosolt just fades to quick, this looks better preservative we shall see though at £5 a tin from aldi im not expecting much, my obsy had 4 coats of wood preservative.

I paint the chicken houses with creosote every so often (having moved the chickens into a different house painted a few weeks previously so it's nicely dried out). I use the stuff available from Mole Valley Farmers in 25 litre containers. It does shed water, but it doesn't seem to last like the stuff I remember from my childhood, nor is it quite as gloopy. Does a better job of killing the mites and other parasites than any of the other controls I've tried though :)

James

also any one thinking of using ship lap make sure you use 2 screws in each board every 1ft or it will bend like a banana! like mine did

Good advice, been there myself. daniel,, do you not get water ingress at your corners? yours look open as were mine I found that Thompsons rubber paint works great on the corners, great stuf that flexes with the wood. - no longer any issues of dampness for me. worth doing plus you can seal your roof felt.

Mark

Going to redo mine over the summer. Got some DucksBack, which gets good reviews.

As you say... Got to keep it looking lovely.

I used Ducks back on mine 2 years ago - 3 coats which took some time to do, you should see it now , needs done again badly - not happy with Ducks back at all.

I used Ronseal Total Wood Preserver which is a spirit based wood preserver and highly recommended. Lasts a lot longer thean the water based preservers so though more expensive at the outset - 25L for about £25 (Amazon) - lasts several times as long and works out cheaper in the end.

Good advice, been there myself. daniel,, do you not get water ingress at your corners? yours look open as were mine I found that Thompsons rubber paint works great on the corners, great stuf that flexes with the wood. - no longer any issues of dampness for me. worth doing plus you can seal your roof felt.

Mark

i have not had any dampness or leaks in my obsy from day one, its withstood all the down poors and winds that we had over the year and its been bone dry, when i took the shiplap off i was very surprised even with the gaps there was no damp on the back of the ply :D lucky really i was excepting some leakage as i have a gap around 3 inches all around the roof as ventilation but all has been good so far.

Archived