Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Helios Apollo 15x70 or 22x85?

I love sitting in my reclining bank chair observing the night sky with my Pentax 10x50 binoculars. I'm a binocular variable star observer, and a telescope owner for when high magnification is the only thing that'll do.

I've recently started using a tripod too with my 10x50 bins, and using two eyes is great. The rock solid, crystal clear views of low altitude objects - open clusters, the Orion nebula, wide doubles, and let's not forget the Moon - is frankly addictive ;-) and now I crave more aperture and magnification to complement my 10x50s.

If I'm going to spend my pennies I'd like to invest in a great pair of binoculars and the two mentioned above get, mostly, good reviews. Now I could see a more serious pair - larger and inclined eye pieces - in my future, but considering the significant cost I'd like to be sure of my commitment.

I'd admit to being inclined towards the 22x85s, but would these be too much of a cross over with future options, is the field of view too small, are there other issues I should consider?

Advice and experiences would be gratefully received.

James

It's a good question, if you're considering a big pair of 45º 100mm in the future, then the 22x85s maybe too close to them.

Having said that, the BA8 range will hold it's value well and you should have no problems with re-sale.

I have the 15x70s and they are great, portable, just about hand holdable with practice or good with a monopod.

The added weight of the 22x85s and smaller FOV, as you point out, are another consideration.

You would be more likely to reach the zenith with the 15x70s, unless you put the 22x85s on a P-mount.

I suppose there's really no right choice and I would like to own the 22x85s as well as the 15x70s but really with either you can't go far wrong, you'll have brilliant views.

Just moved the topic. I have the Apollo 15x70HDs and they are great. The nice thing about them is that I can still (just) hold them without tripod (for those quick sessions). For prolonged viewing a tripod with p-mount or monopod is better. The 22x85 should be great, but impossible to hold still enough even for me (and I have shot sharp images with a 400mm telephoto at 1/15-1/30 s exposure, so my hands are very stable indeed). I did consider the 22x85 and a series of others, but I think I would prefer right-angled bins to use from a solid alt-az mount.

+1 for the Helios Apollo.

I also echo Michael's point about the 22 x 85. I am sure they offer lovely views. But they are going to be big and heavy - of that you can be 100% certain. Much better something you can use comfortably and enjoyably than something that's a beast to use; You'll end up not using them and sticking with your 10x50's. Its a common theme across all astronomy when people get excited about large apertures. The Golden rule is the best aperture is the one you'll use.

Lecture over. I have the 15 x 70's and love them. They are just about usable without a tripod. On a sun lounger they are a delight. However, anyting bigger would be unusable without a tripod.

Thanks for sorting my mistake out Michael.

You've both made good points that mirror my own thought if I'm honest. I'd love to get some more detail, and cut through a little more sky glow. How much difference does 15x make over 10x? And what does the extra light grasp enable you to view?

You can't really go wrong with either, they will both be superb! As you are already tripod mounting your bins, (my preference also) I would say go for the 22x85. The increased light grasp & magnification will be noticeable. I've been toying with the idea of adding the 20x110 for some time now. The only thing putting me off is that it would take at least as much again to mount them!

I would also like some big bins too with 85 - 100mm objectives to set up for when I am imaging. But that's for a time after I have other stuff I need. Bins of that size will need some serious mounting and I personally believe its slightly diminishing returns territory. The whole beauty of bins is their ability to be picked up and used. Once you start to use big bins and necessarily big tripods, you might as well get the scope out. As I say, that's my thoughts on the matter. Appreciate others will think differently.

I've not used the 22x85, but I have used the much lighter Tak 22x60: impossible to hand-hold effectively. I concur with what others have said about the 15x70 (it's now my most-used astronomical instrument -- briefly hand-held, or monopod and trigger-grip ball-head for "serious" sessions). My instinct is that, if you are going to have to tripod-mount, it's worth taking the opportunity of going for more aperture, and you definitely need angled eyepieces.

Thank you all for the advice. It's reassuring that you're all fans of the Helios Apollo range.

There's quite a difference between wanting to tripod mount binoculars, and having to. I thought about larger binoculars with angled eye pieces, but the extra expense to get a really good instrument is too much... at the moment.

I'm leaning back towards the 15x70s as a not necessarily tripod mounted tool, that'd be even better mounted. Then I'll see what the future brings, any suggestions there? ;-)

Oh that's a phase very close to my heart Kirkster501 ;-))

I've decided on a pair of 15x70 for the reasons I gave above. The most flexible option, plus the extra FOV might be handy for variable stars.

Unfortunately they're also the only variety the FLO don't have in stock... a sign perhaps, but of what??

Oh that's a phase very close to my heart Kirkster501 ;-))

I've decided on a pair of 15x70 for the reasons I gave above. The most flexible option, plus the extra FOV might be handy for variable stars.

Unfortunately they're also the only variety the FLO don't have in stock... a sign perhaps, but of what??

That's odd.... I got mine from FLO in January. Maybe give them a ring?

I know it not the same model as you were asking about but I have a different branded version of the 10.5 x 70mm which is the same as the Helios, I am very pleased with mine. They are not sharp at the very edges but for the money they are excellent, if we want Televue performance we would have to pay 1000's

Alan

So you bought them all Kirkster501!! I've asked for notification when they're back, but asking the question directly might be worthwhile.

Alan, the Apollo range in all it's guises seems to get good reviews, and I'm glad to hear another vote of confidence. You're quite right, it's possible to spend a great deal more, but not yet :-) These seem to be pitched at the start of premium performance.

So you bought them all Kirkster501!! I've asked for notification when they're back, but asking the question directly might be worthwhile.

lol... I was told by Martin at FLO that when they get a delivery of these they sell out within a very short period. I'd get them to put you onto their short list so when they get say 10 units then one is immediately put aside for you. That's what I had to do. No money changes hands until they get the stock and they inform you from where you then get a few days to decide.

James Yes I think that is a fair comment to make. I have a good many top eyepieces and the 10.5 x 70's are good enough for me. My wife used to sell Zeiss binos and I have used a good many their models ( field tests), when you look at the cost of them I am glade I got the ones I did, I know Zeiss don't do a similar model but I think you know what I mean.

Archived