Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guide Cameras

Gina

Having a slight problem. Thought I'd install drivers etc. but the CD won't work in my netbook CD drive (external USB). Other CDs are OK in it. The SX CD works in my desktop. May try transferring the files to an SD card to read in the netbook or maybe see if I can get an XP desktop in my warm room working. No more time ATM - I'll try later.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no good at software fixes but the bad cable connections are really at their worst when using both because there isn't room for both! The silly things are two close together and the ST4 is the real offender.

I'd still buy another one though.

A note on the 16ic. I used to guide with these but they both eventually stopped guiding reliably in Dec and I sold them (with this issue declared, of course.) I then had a message saying it might be to do with the software needing an update. They did guide well for years but they add another cable since they're cooled. The Lodestar is quieter - but it flashes. Whose idea was that? Black sticky tape...

Olly

Copied all the CD content onto an SD card and installed driver and software from that - no problem :) I see that the SX Lodestar software can be used for guiding :) Another alternative to PHD and AA5 :D

I'm no good at software fixes but the bad cable connections are really at their worst when using both because there isn't room for both! The silly things are two close together and the ST4 is the real offender.

I thought there didn't look as if there'd be room for both cable connectors. Thankfully, no problem for me :)
I'd still buy another one though.
Nice to know - that's what I'd call a good recommendation :)
A note on the 16ic. I used to guide with these but they both eventually stopped guiding reliably in Dec and I sold them (with this issue declared, of course.) I then had a message saying it might be to do with the software needing an update. They did guide well for years but they add another cable since they're cooled. The Lodestar is quieter - but it flashes. Whose idea was that? Black sticky tape...

Olly

Oh it does, does it! Black sticky tape it is then :D

Teleskop Service do a little plastic cable retainer that screws into the back. I never had a problem with these connectors. Sure, in this day and age etc there should be a better standard out there. Apple could probably device a whole range of clever connectors!

Enjoy the Lodestar Gina, one more gadget to 'forget' about as it just works. (Watch out for dodgy USB leads though and the voltage drop they may cause!)

/Jesper

Recently purchased Loadstar and had cable problem straight away as downloaded pics looked like dark frames, all black and grey spots.

Had to fold the cables back along the camera and stap them to it with velcro straps.

Also a job to tell which way is up, I was using a SSAG previously which was easy to set up so north was up, the Loadstar started out calibrating

diagonally in PHD, very confusing.

The loadstar has bigger pixels than the SSAG, which I've moved to my portable setup, but will try swopping them around one clear moonlit night to see

if there is a noticable difference.

Dave

I seem to have the drivers and software installed OK and it's finding the Lodestar in both the SX software and AA5 but I can't see any stars. I need to try it in daylight on distant trees etc. - didn't get a chance to do that today :( Spent what little spare time I had getting software/drivers sorted out. Maybe tomorrow :D

Recently purchased Loadstar and had cable problem straight away as downloaded pics looked like dark frames, all black and grey spots.

Had to fold the cables back along the camera and stap them to it with velcro straps.

Dave

Ditto. I fold them back as well, though OAG users might not like this solution. For them the TS gadget would be best, or an improvised copy.

Olly

Found time to get out in the obsy this afternoon and get the Lodestar set up with a terrestrial image nearly a mile away on a far hill. I slewed to this and got the horizon and then the house in the Atik camera and focussed on that. I then ran the Lodestar software and eventually got an image of a tree on the horizon by reducing the exposure to one thousandth of a second, I slewed a little to get onto the house and focussed by sliding the turret in/out and locked it in place. I fine focussed with the Baader adapter helical focussing ring (very fine).

I captured the image in TIFF format, downloaded it to my desktop and converted it to PNG in PS, plus slight touch of curves as it was still rather overexposed. This is the result :-

post-13131-0-75089900-1367340054_thumb.p

Trees on far hill about a mile away in Lodestar. I have the lodestar matching the 314L+ in angle and these images have been rotated 180 degrees in PS to look more natural. The direction is about 134 deg azimuth and about 1 deg in altitude.

Did you get it working in PHD Gina ?

Mine worked OK first time.

Dave

No, didn't try that today - well not yet.

Update :- Just tried PHD and it's working :) Complete white-out at 0.05s exposure except for the area outside the light pipe in the turret which is black, as expected.

Great Gina :-) when the graph indicates that the guide pulse is over compensating, you can reduce the aggression a little.

Thank you Tim :) I've been gradually reducing it.

It looks like my PA is still a bit off - the Dec graph is consistently to one side of the x-axis.

post-13131-0-95552900-1367376816_thumb.p

Archived