Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New EP arrived today! 30mm Aero.

Aronnax

Hello all, just thought I'd share with you my initial impressions of my new toy! I have just taken delivery of a SW Aero ED 30mm (2" fitting) wide angle EP. Knowing my luck I won't be able to look through it for some time with the weather, but here's hoping.

Ordered from FLO, it came promptly, and well packaged, which is always a good sign. The EP feels nice and substantial compared to the stock EP's my SW200p Dob came with. The twist up eyecup is very smooth, and the 2" barrel is tapered for extra security on the focuser. The only thing I have noticed is that the EP is a very snug fit in the 2" adapter that came with the scope, and I can already envisage the barrel of the EP getting a few marks on it when this gets inserted, but at least it won't be flapping around in there!

Im looking forward to getting this out for some good low power wide field views at the first opportunity. It will give 40x magnification and a respectable 1.7deg FOV in my scope, and I'm looking forward to getting lost among the stars!

Also to come is a 16mm Nirvana, which should be here in the next few days...

In the meantime, have a picture of the 30mm Aero next to the stock 25mm EP that come as standard with many of the SW scopes:

post-22599-0-97319900-1366377401_thumb.j

Now, fingers crossed for some clear skies to try this out :)

Congratulation on the new eyepiece. I had the 40mm a few years ago and found it was soft at the edges in my F 10 LX, so I sold it and bought something costing twice the price, Meade SWA, that was much the same. Then I found out that my scope needed a little collimation twiddle. I was a little hard on it, hope the clouds clear and you like yours.

Alan.

Good stuff !

See if you can spot comet Panstarrs with it. It's on the opposite side of the sky to the Moon near Cassiopeia at the moment and looks quite nice.

Unfortunately the views from my garden in that direction are quite limited. I'll double check where Panstarrs has got too, but it may need me to get to a different site.

Clear skies :)

i have the 40mm and love it, but your gonna love the 16mm even more, very nice, you just need the 28mm now

I hope the 16mm Nirvana is a corker, I've not had a chance to use it yet, as it arrived in the post today :) The 30mm Aero I have is too close to the 28mm Nirvana for me to get the 28mm; I'll probably go the other way and consider the 7mm Nirvana when the time comes. I'm filled out at lower powers now, so something to go at the higher end will be next.

Clear skies :)

Weather for Gloucs looks good tonight and the suns almost down. go look at the moon in that 16mm! :)

Didn't reply earlier as I was outside doing just that! Some lovely crisp views of the moon in the 16mm as well. I decided to formally start the Lunar 100 the other day, so it gave me a focus for things to look for.

Had a chance to look at M81 & M82 through the 30mm Aero (and 16mm Nirvana), and was pleased to see them both well within the FOV, and actually visible, even in the bright moonlight :)

The clouds are just starting to appear now from the West. Still, got in a couple of nights with the moon which was nice.

Archived