Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

B33 Horsehead Nebula in Ha - reprocess

x6gas

Hello!

Given the cloud and rain I decided to put the processing techniques I've been learning over the past months to work on some data of the Horsehead Nebula that I captured last year. I had the pick-off prism of my OAG much too close to the imaging chip and also had some dust bunnies on the sensor so this has taken a bit of work!

Absolutely love the Horsehead and an image of this was one of many things that garnered my interest in astronomy.

This is just the Ha data. I also have some very poor RGB but I think I might be able to do better with that than I managed when trying to process this last year. It's kind of nice to go back to old data.

Captured in January and February 2012. 35 x 600s, no darks, no flats (sorry purists).

Scope: TS90APO

Camera: Atik 383L+

Mount: CGEM DX

Guiding: Atik OAG, IMGOH, and PHD

Thanks for looking.

gallery_11821_2457_81039.png

Thanks all!

This is a big improvement over my previous efforts but there are still a couple of things I'm not happy with - the dust bunnies in the lower left need to be cloned out (this was before I realised that there was dust on the chip, behind the the CCD window, now cleaned) and the stars in the lower star field are also too soft.

The real problem with this data was that it was the first I took using an OAG and I had the pick off prism far too close to the imaging chip which resulted in massive vignetting across the bottom of the field of view. I've managed to rescue this Ha data but I only had an hour each of RGB, binned 2x2, and I can't get anything other than the stars out of it so it's of no use.

The endless tinkering continues!

At some point I've applied a blur without having an adequate star mask and so some of the stars are soft. Unfortunately, don't have the relevant step saved at an appropriate time as a PhotoPlus (layers) file so I've gone back and tried to repair the damage.

gallery_11821_2457_159046.png

I've also cloned out the dust bunnies and added another selective high pass filter - might have over done that so...

...this one has a slight Gaussian blur to calm the high pass...

gallery_11821_2457_167581.png

• 3 weeks later...

That is a fantastic image. You have it all - and its great that you got Alnitak as a double star without washing out the secondary. Really like it.

Mark

Ah but Mark... Alnitak is a triple so more work to do!

Archived