Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Perth Observatory (UPDATE)

centroid

As I'm off to Western Australia soon, I thought I'd try and see if I could get a personal visit to the Perth Observatory. They normally only allow 'booked parties', such as schools etc.

I thought I'd e-mail them to see if I could get a personal visit, thinking that they could only say no, had a very nice reply back saying YES!! :D

So, I may be able to 'grab' a few photos to 'post'.

Dave

As I'm off to Western Australia soon, I thought I'd try and see if I could get a personal visit to the Perth Observatory. They normally only allow 'booked parties', such as schools etc.

I thought I'd e-mail them to see if I could get a personal visit, thinking that they could only say no, had a very nice reply back saying YES!! :D

So, I may be able to 'grab' a few photos to 'post'.

Dave

Spookie! My wife and I are off to Perth in February to visit my brother and I received an email from him yesterday suggesting we visit the Perth observatory! :shock:

I'll be looking forward to a report. :D

What a result Dave!! :D

"You don't ask, you don't get" eh? :D

Absolutely. :D

I was out there for the whole of March and April this year, looked at their web-site, and noted that they only catered for 'booked' party groups, so didn't pursue it.

This time I thought I would ask anyway, but expecting a "sorry can't be done" reply.

I did tell them that I was an active amateur astronomer/imager, and was visiting from UK.

Will certainly report back on the visit, probably while I'm out there, as I can log-on to SGL from my daughter's house. Albeit there's a 9 hour time shift.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Have managed to arrange an after-dark visit to the observatory, for this coming Sunday, and have been told that if its clear (fingers crossed), there will be an opportunity to look through some of the scopes. :icon_jokercolor:

As its out in the 'bush', and almost certainly a 'dark-site', I'll take the 30D and a tripod along with me, and see what I can capture in something less that 60sec exposures.

Dave

Archived