Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I saw Panstarrs!!!

Finally after weeks of cloud the western sky was clear for me last night and I got to see the allusive Panstarrs! I took my scope and bino's to a location where I had a clear view of the western sky and at about 21:00 when it was dark enough I eventually found it. Took a bit of panning around to catch it, but when I did I let out a 'YESSS!' my Dad was with me too so he shared my enthusiam. Once I saw it through the binos I went to the scope and found it and using a 25mm and got a closer look, another 'YESSSS!". I could not only see the tail but the white spec at the top of the tail which was the comet itself, I also used a 12mm which was another "BLIMEY" moment as it was that much bigger, the 7mm was too much for it though as the view was darkened considerably. Was so pleased as I'd been wanting to see it for what seems like ages. Each night I would go to my office window and see if I could see it through cloud breaks with my bino's and not even sure as the houses and trees might be too high, but waiting that long made the sense of achievment even better. Hope others have managed to get a look and if not get to see it soon!

I could not only see the tail but the white spec at the top of the tail which was the comet itself, I also used a 12mm which was another "BLIMEY" moment as it was that much bigger, the 7mm was too much for it though as the view was darkened considerably.

I saw the same too! I totally didn't expect the bright core of the comet at all. It looked good in a 12mm lens (x54 for me)

I saw M31 for the first time too!

It's the first night there hasn't been low cloud on the horizon for weeks by me!

I only managed a fuzzy blob with a tail through a small pair of binos out the upstairs window!

If it's like this again tomorrow I'll try with the 'scope.

Cheers

Went out again last night, this time in my back garden. i was dog tired from the night before but when there's a clear sky, you've just got to do it lol Managed to find it again through a gap between trees and spent a bit more time studying it. if i'd known i could see it from there, i wouldn't have traipsed into the back of beyond the night before lol sorry other haven't seen it yet. i know how frustrating it is as that was me for weeks. if it helps it is just below M31 and it seems to be staying there. i looked at it at 9pm and it was still there at 10.15pm. good luck all.

Ive had 2 clear evenings here the last couple of nights and i know PANSTARRS is about 20 degrees in elevation in the NW (maybe closer to N). I have my 20x90 bins setup in one of the bedrooms upstairs which has a good view from SW to N. I have searched and searched in the evening glow after sunset and i just cant spot anything. I have a sneaky suspicion that it is hiding just behind a house that is across from me to the NW.

If i didnt suffer from veritgo, i would climb a ladder and get up on the roof of my house.

Its low, really low. I travel to our club site to get a view, its less than 10 minutes away so its not an issue. I saw it again tonight, not as good as last night as there is a little very high cloud. You couldn't confuse it with anything else.....Its a comet.....er that's it.

Congratulations on finding it and to the others who are still hunting - don't give up! I agree that it does make it a little easier to find being very near to M31 for sure and we have been blessed lately with a couple of clear skies in which to track it down which is a rarity when these 'special' events present themselves (don't remind me about the 1999 eclipse! :grin:) If you think this comet is worth the hunt then remember we have a brighter comet called ISON (C/2012 S1) to look forward to around the beginning of December onwards. Apparently initial measurements have downgraded its expectant brightness but it does look like it is going to be still pretty bright and therefore easier to spot.

Happy hunting

James

Archived