Is it safe to have laptops outside in these conditions for imaging?

Hi everyone

I recently got a new dmk 21au618.as, and I deperately want to give it a bit of use, but my parents wont let me take our laptop outside to use it, due to the cold, so I must know, is it really so dangerous, I use my £350 dslr and £90 motor drive all the time, and it never causes them any problems, and I really need to get it used now, before light nights become a problem, so please help, they just wont listen!

My laptop has been in the fridge, sorry observatory, for the last couple of years and not a problem. I can only tell you how my laptop performed which was okay but other people may have a different story and will give a precautionary tale, read what everyone says and take it in :)

Jim

My laptop gets taken outside regularly for imaging and I've not had any problems. Cold isn't really an issue. Let's face it, one of the major problems laptop designers have to resolve is getting rid of heat. Batteries aren't that keen on cold though, so mains power can be more reliable if you can set it up safely.

One of the bigger problems you might get is dew, but there's nothing stopping you making some sort of cover to keep the dew off, either using (say) a cardboard box, or cutting the side out of a plastic storage box that fits over the top upside down.

If all else fails, a high spec laptop is not required for basic imaging. You might be able to pick up an old one second hand that will do the job.

James

Laptops are compact, and have a sufficient internal heat source? OK, If you keep them indoors and start them up indoors? I have noticed fans struggle to START in the cold. Best to ensure that moving parts (fans, hard disks) are not started from extreme cold? Dedicated laptop heater pads are available:

http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16430&cat=243&page=1

A cheaper solution: low voltage veterinary "electric blankets" for cats / small dogs etc. ??? :p

As has been suggested, turn it on indoors, let it warm up, then take it out, then when done bring it back in again but leave it on. That way you wont get condensation on it.

FWIW My Pond PC has been running outside in cupboard by the pond for the last six months. The PC and near it is bone dry due to its warmth. (and yes its got a RCD on it).

Clear skies, Kev

I suppose if you're really keen, it might be worthwhile investigating "solid state" hard drives.

Hard drives were about the only "worrying" failure I've ever had with a PC.

Liked an internet idea putting a heat-shielded, thermostatically controlled, 60W bulb in a PC!

Wish I hadn't thrown away some of my bigger (far better contructed!) steel cases of yore...

:undecided:

Whatever you use outside, obsy or not, it needs to be hooked up to the mains via an RCD.

True indeed. My "property developer" neighbour(s) and their "external lights" etc., scare the b'Jaysus out of me. :)

For now, I prefer my observatory run on 12V. I use a Maplins Laptop voltage "up-converter" for my (19V) Notebook. These units are quite useful to have around generally though. The voltage supply to my Watec (video cam) seemed noisy, so I decided to "stablise" it. The deep cycle, observatory battery doesn't provide much *voltage overhead*, so I bought another voltage up-converter, set it to 15V, built a 12V voltage stabilisation box: 7812, capacitors etc. The image is much cleaner, even as the obsy battery discharges... ;)

Dew can be a problem but so can wrapping the laptop up as this can cause overheating & the cpu will either slow right down as will the overall response or the OS might shut down, the vents on the laptop should not be covered as the machine needs to breathe.

I have been out numerous times in the very cold weather & not even noticed the frost on everything (no so much the laptop) & i have had no problems.

I was out at Olly's with both a mini and MBP.. the mini spent the night out in -13.. also nights at SGL8 got very low (-19 wind chill).

Lithium batteries don't like the cold. So that could cause a problem but most laptops keep themselves warm anyway...

As people have suggested - Dew is a problem for laptops but in a box, the mini didn't have a problem with dew.

Never had a problem with mine , they generate their own heat and mine has never got damp or dewed up .

Same here, and mine are both 2002 models that have lived in the observatory for years.

Archived