Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spreading the Gospel (of Astronomy :) )

The Warthog

On Monday, I sent off an email to the morning radio hosts on my local station, telling them about the comet, and linking to a Fox news story about it. At twenty past six this morning, as I was getting ready for work, my wife called me into the bedroom because the host was reading part of my email, and then talking about the comet.

She did a pretty good job of representing the comet, using the news story I had sent, and possibly some other information, then she thanked me again. She also talked about how she enjoys looking at the stars in the morning (she lives in the country) and looking up at Mars at present. I hope somebody goes out and looks at the comet because of it.

I think the media in most countries are greatful for advice on astronomical matters. Simply because they are pretty clueless, and welcome spontaneous intervention by amateurs. A fellow amateur friend of mine now has a regular spot on Radio Cumbria, simply through calling in one day, to help them out on comet Hayakutake. Much as WH did about Holmes.

So, power to you WH.

Ron. :D

TBH, I'm hoping to get a gig as local amateur astro expert for the radio. My knowledge is sufficient to cover all of the bases as far as what the public wants to know. I intend to let Lori know if anything else happens, and see if she picks me up.

TBH, I'm hoping to get a gig as local amateur astro expert for the radio. My knowledge is sufficient to cover all of the bases as far as what the public wants to know. I intend to let Lori know if anything else happens, and see if she picks me up.

Well let's hope so, and good luck with it.

:D

We have found a replacement for Sir Patrick when he retires, well maybe not. :D :D :D

Congratulations, well done. Maybe we all should contact our local radio / TV / press and inform them of any note worthy astro news, then they might pay more attention to real news.

naz

Maybe we all should contact our local radio / TV / press and inform them of any note worthy astro news, then they might pay more attention to real news.

naz

I think we should. I wrote to them because they usually pick up astro stories for their show, and I hadn't heard of the comet from them. It turned out they weren't aware of it. Radio stations like stuff like this, as it is easy to understand, interesting, and fills up dead air time.

Praaaise Perseus.... and may the milky way be with you. :D

Nice one WH, it's vital to keep 'spreading the word'. Unless the media hear from us, they will presume the general public are not interested.

Vega

Archived