Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Arrivals!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not true and I'm not sure what information, or experience, you based that on.

Royal Mail will ship to the US for £12 odd (and that was a 2" ES82 18mm). Hands On Optics shipped the warranty return at their own cost and declared it as a 'Nil Value' warranty replacement, so it attracted no customs charges. That's not the same as no insurance value, as that is covered under the shipping charge, so the replacement item was insured, had it gone missing or arrived damaged.

To have shipped the same package in the UK, with insurance to cover the value, would have cost £7.something, so the entire risk of buying something from a US dealer that knows what it is doing was only £5 more than the UK. Massively less than the saving at original purchase.

There is this perception that the US dealers toss items into international shipping on the assumption that distance absolves them of responsibility. My experience is that this is not the case. For starters, international shipping for a US dealer, is not actually that much more hassle, or expense, than shipping to some of the more far flung States - Think Hawaii and Alaska. Two, like any dealer, they seek to build loyalty through customer satisfaction. That transcends borders, but not the internet. A duff review on a forum 5000 miles away, is still an arrow in the side that a bloke in their town can return on a Google search.

Compare this to my two UK warranty replacement experiences. A blown motherboard for the Dob took three months and was only eventually solved by circumventing the dealer and going direct to OVL. Another took six months after replacing the entire unit was "forgotten" by the dealer that had the replacement in stock, a month earlier.

As such - The OP payed for an ES82 that should match the rest of the lineup. He has noting to loose in contacting the dealer and based on my experience, he may be pleasantly surprised how fuss and cost free the experience is. If it turns out otherwise, do as you would do in the UK - Buy the next one from someone who cares and tell the current dealer you are going to do so.

Distance changes very little.

Russell

This is actually a really good point, well made. Thank you. I do actually want to try the eyepiece first but if i find it unsatisfactory then I will probbly give this a try just for the hell of it. If the stockist doesnt have an 11mm N2 or Ar then i'll trade it against a 30mm ES and source a replacement 11mm locally (EU).

Since some of the best refractors are oil spaced rather than air spaced (TEC, AP ...), one have to wonder why no one make eyepiece with oil spaced lenses? They won't just be water proofed, they will probably survive a scuba diving trip.

I agree. Oil as a medium is fantastic although I was unaware of its refractive properties. People even run computers (motherboards, SSD hardrives) fully immersed in oil for its heat exchange properties, you can run a PC massively overclocked if its in oil.

I'd suggest a reason why we dont have oil filled EPs is weight followed closely by the fear induced if a seal were to break from dropping, it might seep oil onto your telescope optics.

very nice collection of glass!!! another one seems to be bitten by the 82 degree bug :D

You need to get 30mm EP!!! they are huge but the WOW factor viewing through them outweighs everything. I only had 1 brief observation with it thanks to the weather and i still have the stars imprinted at the back of the eyeball lol.

I put it in my ST120 at lunch and the views in the 11mm are actually very crisp indeed. It seemed to have a slightly different tone to the other EPs. Nothing tangiable but the colours of the tiles on the roof were similar in the 8.9 and 14 and ever so slightly more true to eye tone in the 11mm. Ergonomically it's quite pleasant too, having a body roll up cup like the meade 5k uwa design (which I believe this was closely manufactured against) as opposed to rubber eyecups which I dont reallty like. Rubber eyecups are either up or down so I just leave them down.

I have every intention of putting it through it's paces before making a decision.

very nice collection of glass!!! another one seems to be bitten by the 82 degree bug :D

You need to get 30mm EP!!! they are huge but the WOW factor viewing through them outweighs everything. I only had 1 brief observation with it thanks to the weather and i still have the stars imprinted at the back of the eyeball lol.

Believe me it's all I can do to resist buying the 30mm right now. I have the funds available but I am trying to resist....I should wait until next month.

They ought to use Helium then !

To use liquid Helium would be expensive :D. It requires both atmospheric pressures higher than 1 Atmosphere (around 2.5 Atmospheres) and temperatures of -272C, 1 degree off of absolute zero ;).

Nice idea though ;)

I need something to look forward to for next month.

Also the 30mm will give 40x in my dob and 20x in my refractor.

The 24mm I have already gives 50x and 25x respectively. I'm trying to justify the 30mm in terms pf practicality too, rather than just to say I have it. It would make more sense once I upgrade the telescope so maybe I should do that first?

Is it worth £200ish for a 10x or 5x difference? It's hard to justify it based on that right?

The 24mm i have is very good, I do love the views through it although the ergonomics of the larger meade uwas is amusing, you have to turn your head and look sideways into them because they are so wide!

Futher to this the 30mm would show 2.05 degree TFOV compared to the 24mm's 1.64 degrees. That might make it justifiable, 25% ish more sky in the dob

in the refractor its 30mm = 4 degrees and 24mm = 3.2 degrees, so almost a full degree more sky..... :icon_scratch:

Great looking set who did you order them from, iv'e just recieved the 11mm & 14mm [82 degrees] from Optical-Systems in Germany at 135 euro each and was just about to order the 18mm and either the 24mm or 30mm 2" this weekend but if i can get a better deal from the states i'm interested. I tried Hands On Optics earlier in the year but they didn't have stock at that time. I'm using my televue 1.25 2xbarlow to double up the 11 & 14, what are you using to double up the 2" eyepieces

I got the smaller ones 4.7 - 11 from telescopes.net in the US and the 14 and 18 from optical-systems.com

The ones from germany, to the doorstep, are really only a fraction more expensive and for that expense they come a LOT faster than from the US. I'll buy the 30mm from optical-systems when im ready.

To add context to that statement I mean less than £10 an eyepiece more expensive, it's trivial. And they get to your door alot faster. I should've gotten them all from Germany.

With regards to the barlow, quite simply I dont use one :) That's why i got them all, so i wouldnt need to.

I soon the sometimes think I have a powermate just to say I have one.

Last time I used it was for a head to head test with Powermated 20mm Nagler and a 10mm Delos but I haven't writen it up yet, that was just after Christmas.

I keep telling myself it's for planets when I use the camera on the LX but that is about as far as it gets. Buying it seemed a good idea at the time.

Alan

Just A small update. I did take the time to tell the US supplier what had been delivered and they were shocked and sorry. They meant to send the new 11mm.

They don't have stock right now but as soon as they do they ate posting a new one to me with a pre paid returns slip for the one I have.

Can't ask for more than that really.

Just A small update. I did take the time to tell the US supplier what had been delivered and they were shocked and sorry. They meant to send the new 11mm.

They don't have stock right now but as soon as they do they ate posting a new one to me with a pre paid returns slip for the one I have.

Can't ask for more than that really.

Make sure they mark the replacement as such otherwise you could get stung for import duty / handling charges again.

Archived