Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Virgo galaxies : easy targets.

cotterless45

A host of galaxies the other night. I was observing from home at he edge of town with lp and an 8" Newtonian to see what was possible :

M85, M99,M91, M86, M88,M86, M84, M58,M59 and NGC4535.

These were bright and showed detail at x100. I was particularly pleased to see "The Eyes" NGC4435/38 gently glowing together.

A chart of the area looks daunting and there are few that will do with lp,

Nick.

Thanks for the report Nick. I'll look out for these. I was out viewing M96 last night. It took me a while to locate it as I couldn't recognise the patch of sky it was meant to be in through my binoculars (I quite often have these to hand to help me with star hopping). I then changed the route of my star hop and then I noticed what the issue was. Stellarium had superimposed the image of M95 onto one of the stars in my field of view and it made it look way brighter than it actually was. Once I recognised that it was plain sailing. The sky wasn't that transparent, sadly, and my imaging attempts were a bit of a flop. Still, looking forward to viewing the objects you've mentioned.

Dave

If only the street lights didn't burn up my night sky. I went down to my parents the other week to work through the virgo galaxies - of course it was cloudy. The only time I've made it to the Kielder star party in the spring it was total cloud. Might just drive out of town and set up on the side of the road.

I had a look through the other night, but the sky was hazy so I was lucky to spot all the messiers in Cannes V, Coma B and Virgo. As murky as the sky

was I saw saw very little in the way of detail excepting M104, m60, m90. I tried some of my favourites in Markarians chain but gave up, to observe another day.

I spend quite a while each year looking at this area of the sky as it is fuzzy-feind heaven. There is even a spottable Quasar in it, what more can we ask?

Clear skies, Mick

If only the street lights didn't burn up my night sky. I went down to my parents the other week to work through the virgo galaxies - of course it was cloudy. The only time I've made it to the Kielder star party in the spring it was total cloud. Might just drive out of town and set up on the side of the road.

Great minds think alike. If we ever get a good night again then that's what I am going to do. These faint objects need dark skies to see them properly. Since Virgo is pretty low in UK it is hard for me from my backyard - above house roofs to my south aspect.

Great minds think alike. If we ever get a good night again then that's what I am going to do. These faint objects need dark skies to see them properly. Since Virgo is pretty low in UK it is hard for me from my backyard - above house roofs to my south aspect.

I always laugh when the S@N tell us about 'naked eye' objects and DSO's that are visible in small bins. Of course a large number of us stand no chance. They should say that you need a small pair of bins, a car, a tank of petrol and an understanding wife/partner.

My Galaxy count is at around 285, I am really hoping to hit 300 this year. There are a few promising ones in Draco, and still a handful in Virgo/Coma/CVn that should be in reach under good conditions. In summer, I will be in Italy at a dark site, so some southern bright ones should be within range.

Archived