Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best finder?

Good Morning all, let's get the ball rollin' here..18" truss dob and thinking of putting a Telrad on the UTA,a simple thing to use that has many fans,but i'm wondering if its going to be enough to search for DSO's.Should i be thinking of adding a RACI,baader sky surfer or perhaps a 9x50 finderscope or is the Telrad simply enough? which will give me the least fustration..i only have a simple RDF on my 12" which has been great,but an 18" may need something extra?thanks for your input.

Good Morning all, let's get the ball rollin' here..18" truss dob and thinking of putting a Telrad on the UTA,a simple thing to use that has many fans,but i'm wondering if its going to be enough to search for DSO's.Should i be thinking of adding a RACI,baader sky surfer or perhaps a 9x50 finderscope or is the Telrad simply enough? which will give me the least fustration..i only have a simple RDF on my 12" which has been great,but an 18" may need something extra?thanks for your input.

Hi,

I like an optical finder myself. I quite like the idea of an illuminated reticle one working in conjunction with an RDF, as for my scopes that would be an overkill but for an 18" DOB, well you be the judge.

Regards,

A.G

ive used mine with a raci finder ,but ive also used it with a low power e/p which also works well. i think id be confident enough to use the telrad alone with a low a power e/p , but i started out without a finderscope ,so i had little choice in the matter.

My options are a Rigel Quikfinder (Telrad would be great though) plus an 8x50 RACI plus a 31mm Nagler. Lots of the time I can do just fine with just the Quikfinder but it's nice to have other options for other targets types which benefit from them. On an 18" scope I've seen larger optical finders used as well as Telrads. Finder eyepieces don't need to be wonderful quality though - a low cost 2" widefield can do fine as a finder eyepiece.

Archived