Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Editing software

Hi All

Can anyone suggest software that supports TIFF files as the end product i got from using DSS are saved as TIFF files, for some reason i cant download photoshop for some reason, i hope someone can suggest some new software, thanks very much.

Regards

Chris

yep got that now :) first time ive actually tried to put an image through it and its not really as hard as i thought.

this is my first result, stacked all of the 49 pictures i took at 5 second exposure that was the first time i properly stacked aswell :) im unsure on how to sort the stars out in the middle of the nebula though they are abit too bright for my liking any tips?

Regards

Chris

post-28669-0-72171800-1363384448_thumb.p

Hi All

Can anyone suggest software that supports TIFF files as the end product i got from using DSS are saved as TIFF files, for some reason i cant download photoshop for some reason, i hope someone can suggest some new software, thanks very much.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

You won't beleive this but go to Adobe , downloads and they are giving full version of CS2 for free in fact the whole creative suit including the serial no, apparently there is a problem with the server and adobe has decided to stop being a pain for a change, I got mine last week easy download too.

Good luck.

A.G

yep got that now :) first time ive actually tried to put an image through it and its not really as hard as i thought.

this is my first result, stacked all of the 49 pictures i took at 5 second exposure that was the first time i properly stacked aswell :) im unsure on how to sort the stars out in the middle of the nebula though they are abit too bright for my liking any tips?

Regards

Chris

Yes, they are over exposed. Practice I guess...

Hi,

A tip for you, when you save the file from DSS, make sure you check the save option that says "embed adjustments in the saved image but do not apply them" and then you won't lose any data from the original image and you will have more to play with in your processing software, looking at the image you posted i think you used the other option and "applied the adjustments to saved image" with this option the pics come out a little washed out and lack true colour..

Hope that helps

MM

im unsure on how to sort the stars out in the middle of the nebula though they are abit too bright for my liking any tips?

Regards

Chris

M42 is relatively easy to capture because of it's high surface brightness but it is a real pain to process. It is what is known in photography circles as HDR - high dynamic range - which means the bright parts are very bright and the whispy bits are pretty dim!

I am afraid that I don't use GIMP so can't help with that, but in a layers based photo editor like Photoshop or PhotoPlus (which is what I use - 16 bit processing for £10!) what you can do is have a layer that has been stretched to show the faint nebulosity with another layer above it that has not be stretched so much. You then use a mask to show through only the bits you want... Sounds more complicated than it is... tutorials here (video) http://www.eprisephoto.com/layer-masks and here http://www.astropix.com/HTML/BEGINNER/M42HDR.HTM

Ian

• 5 weeks later...

You won't beleive this but go to Adobe , downloads and they are giving full version of CS2 for free in fact the whole creative suit including the serial no, apparently there is a problem with the server and adobe has decided to stop being a pain ....

Hi lensman57

Thanks for the heads up on the Adobe software. However, Adobe recommends that the software should not be run on newer systems as it is quite old. Have you had any issues? I am running Win 7?

Hi lensman57

Thanks for the heads up on the Adobe software. However, Adobe recommends that the software should not be run on newer systems as it is quite old. Have you had any issues? I am running Win 7?

Hi,

I am running Win 7 64, no issues with CS2, but many with win7 64. CS2 seems to work fine on mine.

Regards,

A.G

I doubt the core became overexposed at the integration stage. It probably happened when levels were stretched.

Hi,

Next year, once comes Orion comes around, make two sets of exposures, one for the trapezium and one for the nebulasity. You can then combine them in photoshop to bring out all the details.

Reagrds,

A.G

Archived