Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrophotography and false expectations?

zootlewurdle

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have to completly agree with you there. I think I would have given up on DSO's were it not for the ability to image them. I always have a look through the EP at the DSO but it's amazing what you can image. I also think we miss a lot of detail in the faint fuzzies due to the light pollution and thats another reason I image.

There's a huge kick to the imaging. I got a huge buzz from it back in 2003 when the 300D first came out. Enjoyed it immensly. But over the last year or so it's become apparent the imaging has stepped up a gear and far more financial investment is needed to make an impact. And with all the guiding, drift aligning and flaffing I found the kick had gone. Instead replaced with frustration that i had wasted a night doing nothing. It's hard to find the right balance.

Would have been happy to carry on with the 300D but i could see just how good the Atik and Starlight images were. So back to visual it is. And deja vue from 1991.

Russ

I think this is one of the most interesting threads for a while. I'd like to say that I am still very much a newbie, the Moon and Saturn especially were and still are WOWS to me. I have been tempted to enter the world of imaging ,albeit in a very modest way because of the images I've seen over the last couple years. I am aware that I will most likely never pull off anything that might come close to award winning but that's piff paff poff. It's a challenge and it retains my interest in the hobby, and this spurs me on to learn more about the skies and constellations etc. I always found the science side hugely interesting too and have devoured years of S@n and Horizon types programmes and features(still do). Rarely does a night go by now without me nipping out to have a look for a while.

As far as astronomy proper I'm stil at the bent over, dragging nuckles on the floor stage- but gradually evolving! Take Holmes for eg- seing it with bins, FAB. Seeing it thru the Cape awesome capturing a few decent images of it was cream on the cake ! This hobby has become quite addictive (and pricey !) but hey what hobby/interest isn't once you start to get into it ?

My friends, well some appreciate it some don't. Some understand the limitations others don't-so what. The other day I was wondering just how many people in this country alone share this hobby to some extent or other, there must be thousands ! Being a part of this forum has certainly helped in all aspects of my interest and I feel part of a community (even if it is virtual).

There will always be people who join the hobby only to be disappointed and give up, but again is this unusual with regards to other interests?

enough!!

Karlo :D

Would have been happy to carry on with the 300D but i could see just how good the Atik and Starlight images were. So back to visual it is. And deja vue from 1991.

This is a shame really Russ as the 300D is capable of taking some breathtaking images without being modified. I started with a 300D and am fortunate enough to have a Starlight Xpress CCD as well but there are still many occasions where the 300d is the better choice, especially for wider FOV objects. So, dust it off and get imaging again as there will always be others with more advanced gear (all my gear apart from the cameras is Skywatcher which is at the budget end of the market) and it is difficult to keep up with advances in the technology but I wouldn't let my trusty 300d go, it still takes a mean astro image.

.... There will always be people who join the hobby only to be disappointed and give up, but again is this unusual with regards to other interests?

enough!!

Karlo :D

Good post Karlo :D

I'm sure people dropping out along the way is quite normal for all interests. Personally I started golf with a lot of enthusiasm but now I realise that I'm never destined to be anymore than a weekend hacker - despite having bought lots of equipment, books, DVD's etc :D

At least with astronomy (whether visual or imaging) the pursuit is more worthwhile than getting a small white ball to fall into a 4 inch hole several hundred feet away using a strangely shaped stick ! (with apologies to keen golfers amongst the SGL membership :D)

John

After hours and hours of patient fiddling,lots of cash on imaging and then buying a new dslr- I`ve found that I`m using the dslr more so for normal photography- something i also enjoyed when I was younger.

Then the other day the sky was clear, and I thought I`d just get the scope and look. I`d forgotten how much fun just looking is, I`ve got thousands of books with lovely pictures in, all of which I could never match, but there is something to be said to just looking and admiring, I`d forgotten that from my childhood.

I agree. When I call (not before Emmerdale, Corrie, and East Enders have finished!) excitedly to my wife to come and take a look at the Andromeda Galaxy through my Skywatcher 200mm Newtonian, she comes out, puts one hand over one eye and quickly declares "I can't see anything!"

I tell her to give her eyes a few minutes to accustom to the dark then have another look. But after 10 minutes and just seeing a grey fuzzy blob she returns to the warmth of the house.

Same with my grandchildren.

I now show everyone the Moon, Jupiter or Saturn and those objects do "whet" their appetite for more.

I was disappointed when I upgraded from my little 130P to the 200 on the HEQ5 mount. I did think I would see the deep sky objects in a bit more detail. I think that unless one "images" these objects, you would have to have a massive scope to get a decent size (and bright) visual image. (Perhaps a 16 inch Dobsonian?).

Everyone is right when they say it is all about learning the night sky. I'm definitely going to buy a copy of "Turn Left at Orion" (thanks for reminding me Grant).

When I read "Mick'" comments

"So my advice to newbie's is learn the sky and its moods, learn to sketch at the eyepiece, and learn, to learn, and be patient".

he reminded me of "Obi Wan Kenobi" teaching Luke Skywalker about "the force!"

He's (Mick) is perfectly correct though - a good basic knowledge of the night sky, will enable anyone to get the best out of even a modest scope, whereas with no knowledge, even the biggest scope is pretty well grounded.

regards,

philsail1

Steppenwolf and blinky i'm with you 100%

For me imaging is what really brings out the 'hidden' awe.

Yes, its time consuming, expensive and frustrating, but its like opening a mystery box, you never know what's gonna appear on the final image!

Having said that, i spent the last few nights, from a rural sight in Italy, just viewing, and it made a refreshing change.

I hopped around the sky, M45, M42, Saturn and the Moon all looked amazing.

It is gratifying to know, that our eyes can see things w/out the use of high tech equip.

I quite agree that published images do tend to give people who are new to Astronomy a false impression of what can be seen by the eyeball. I was only today saying to someone at work who had bought a starter scope that they wouldnt be able to see faint objects in their full technicolour. I advised them to start on the Moon and M42, M45 to start with. I also told them that Saturn and Jupiter cant be viewed now and wont be favourable until next year. This is one point that newcomers should bare in mind, two of the most popular objects cant be seen for some months. Therefore it may not be the right time of the year to start up the hobby.

My first wow factor object has to be Saturn and its glorious rings and moons, it never ceases to amaze me. The Moon and Jupiter come in second and third respectively.

I got into imaging almost straight away and it serves two purposes one is to keep a record of what you have seen and also to extend what can be seen beyond your vision. My second revelation had to be imaging M42 for the first time. I thought that I hadnt captured much and realised the next day when I stretched the data with Gimp2 that there was so much more detail giving a reasonable image of its core and surrounding nebulosity.

Regards,

Kevin

Great thread this one, I've read your comments and agree with most of them, it can be disappointing to find a grey smudge where an intricate veil of colours ought to be ('cos that's what it shows in the books) but I've found that looking at DSO's whilst reading the "info" on my modest 6SE adds another level of interest for me.

To understand that the object I'm viewing is say 50 million light years away, fills me with wonder - still...

Showing others, I usually go for the aforementioned bright ones, the Moon, Saturn - which was great this year, Jupiter and the Double cluster. One or two have been patient enough to enjoy the Ring nebula and M3 etc.

Books like Turn Left at Orion at least set a realistic expectation IMHO!

Cheers

Hugh

ps, Although I observe fro the most part, I really enjoy the images you people post, they are as good or better than many I've seen in the astronomy books and publications. I've posted a couple of hand held lunar shots and I can understand the buzz, but for now I'll stick to visual until I win the lottery or something... :D

Archived