Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Argentina

fedev80

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Federico

A warm welcome to the SGL hope we can help you pick out a nice scope to get you truely in to stargazing when you are ready

Here is hoping you have clear skies

Doug

from UK

Hi Federico

A warm welcome to the SGL hope we can help you pick out a nice scope to get you truely in to stargazing when you are ready

Here is hoping you have clear skies

Doug

from UK

Thank you very much Doug!

Actually I'm about to borrow a telescope from a cousin of mine. I think it's a low grade Polaris telescope, it should be good to start and learn the basics. Then I'll get my own one :-)

Thank you all!!

Federico

Hi Federico and welcome to SGL!

What's a German style village btw? (i'm naturally curious, or nosy by nature, take your pick :grin: )

Hi Iddy!

Well, I live in a village (a small country town, like 9000 hab) that has mainly a german or swiss style architecture, like in the Alps. The public and commercial buildings, and a lot of houses also, are very distinctive. This village was founded by german survivors from the Graf Spee. The Graf Spee was a german battleship that sunk near the River Plate at the end of WWII. It's a very quiet and beautiful place to live. We have a lot of brewing and an Oktober Fest!!!!! :D

There's some pictures here:

http://www.villageneralbelgrano.com/

Cheers!!!!

Federico

Interesting story Federico, so the German sailors from the Graf Spee were not repatriated back to Germany but lived on in Villa General Belgrano instead. An interesting link there between Graf Spee, General Belgrano and the Royal Navy, I believe you will find that The Graf Spee was scuttled in December 1939 at the start of WWII.

A very nice looking village, is German or Spanish spoken or is it bilingual?

Jim

You're right Jim, it was scuttled. And it was at the beginning of WWII, not at the end.

The village is officially spanish, but a lot of people speak german. The german culture is very present.

Federico

• 3 weeks later...

Archived