Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How many things do you observe in an evening?

Okay, clearly it's dependent on conditions, but how many things do you observe in a typical session? I thought I did pretty well last night - but I notice others here seemed to see a lot last night. It set me thinking - what's a typical 'rate' for observing?

I guess an amount of speed would come with practice - currently I'm spending quite a lot of time checking that what I'm seeing is, in fact, what I think it should be (and last night the double cluster in Perseus did confuse me a bit. Well, a lot, in fact). And I'm sure choice is another factor - I spent about 25 minutes following Jupiter just to see if the little dark spot on it's surface moved at all (it did - I think it was the shadow of Io). That might be excessive - but I was curious, and it is a spectacular sight.

But beyond that, I only found Ceres, near El Nath, and M35, and I was out for about two and a half hours before cold, hunger (must take a flask!), and bedtime drove me in. Am I going too slow? Or do other folks just observe all the way through the night - in which case, how do you survive work/school/family life the next day?

Sorry if it's a noobish question, I'm just not really certain what's 'normal' for observing - what I should see, how long it should take, etc..

You should go at the speed you like. It's a hobby, not a race, there is no exam at the end.

I generally have two "modes" of observing: "hunting" and "observing." In "hunting" mode, I try to find new objects. Here I try to find whatever new object as quickly as I can, because this expands my knowledge of the heavens quickly, and gives more time on the object itself. Depending on what I find, I then switch to "observing" mode, and try to take in as much detail as I can. If the object is just a tiny little smudge at the limit of my visual system, and spend no more time on the object than is needed to confirm the sighting. If the object shows more detail, I will stick with it for a bit longer. If there are many objects on my target list, I sometimes just make a "revisit" note to keep hunting for more (especially in rich fields of galaxies like Ursa Major and Coma-Virgo). Other nights I spend revisiting old friends, and just enjoy the sights. Recently I spent about 35-45minutes on Sirius, trying to find Sirius-B (got it after trying several different EPs and filters). My "hunting" record is 30 galaxies in a single night (In Virgo, finding galaxies on a good night is like shooting fish in a barrel, I got 8 galaxies in one FOV at one time). Other nights I look at perhaps 5 or 6 objects (I keep turning back to Jupiter when visible).

Relax and enjoy. As you gain experience you will find objects faster, giving you more time on the object.

Sometimes I'll go out with a specific aim, such as concentrating on one particular constellation for example. Other times, I just go out and look in the area that's most convenient. If there's a planet that always gets a look.

As for timings, I'll stay out for as long as it takes to get uncomfortable or frustrated. On work days I'll stay out until about 10 and on weekends maybe a bit later. I've never pulled an all-nighter though, but I have got the scope out if I've woken early and there's time before setting off to work.

I spend between 1 or 2 hours, depending on the cold and other externalities. I like to take my time as I peruse the sky. I usually have a list of targets prepared for the session and I work my way down the list. Some nights I might only get one (like last night, M51) and some nights I get more.

I also like to get lost in the telescope, ie just looking through the EP and moving the telescope around with no particular aim. I often find a satellite or something else that takes my fancy and I manually chase that for a while. Its good to relax and just look.

I would say take as little or as much time as you want as long as your happy and enjoying yourself there's no need to worry about anyone else.

Take as much time as you want on an object. Astronomy isn't a race,. In fact the more you scrutinise an object the more you are likely to see, a quick glance is never enough. I sometimes think half the reason people call DSO's faint fuzzies is because they haven't spent enough time studying a lot of them.

I like to spend at least half an hour on an object. I try to use Stephen J O'Meara's aproach of staring at an object at low power first before magnifying it any more. I don't often use more than two powers on an object either, preferring to have a large jump between two mags than loads of little steps. Less time fiddling with kit and more time looking is my thoughts.

I can rush around from object to object observing tens of them in a night, but I seldom choose to observe this way. I don't feel I get as much out of simply "bagging" objects.

I also like to plan my dark sky sessions around objects that will get the most benefit from them. Pointless driving several hours to a pitch black spot then observing M57 or Jupiter, you can observe them from pretty much anywhere. Face on spiral galaxies are on the menu from dark spots and are worth much more than a quick look, as some of the detail can be slow in coming to the eye, but can be truly stunning once seen. Some of my most memorable sights at the eyepiece have come slowly.

Being self employed helps a lot with the late nights as I can work around them most of the time (as long as the evenings not too dark).

I like to spend at least a couple of hours out with my scope at any time as I have to transport mine anyway, so quick half hour sessions are a no-no for me.

This is MY way of observing, it's not the right way or the wrong way, just my way. Others may well differ.

Agreed:

The correct way to observe is the one that gives most satisfaction

BTW, the size of the scope makes a very big difference on "faint fuzzies", M13 was a fuzzy ball in the 70mm scope at school, but it is an explosion of stars in my C8. Most galaxies are faint fuzzies in my C8, but many do have their own specific character, some are near linear, others highly condensed, occasionally you pick on up which has a near stellar core (like Seyfert galaxies). I try to spend enough time on an object to have a guess at what type it is (10-15 minutes is often enough). This identification helps to confirm what you have seen using images of the objects. By contrast, quite a few planetaries are essentially stellar (<5 arcsec). I will try to resolve them, and always check that they are planetaries by switching filters into and out of the optical path, but if I cannot resolve detail, I move on. Just 5-6 minutes is enough.

I generally have a list of targaets in mind but I don't necessarily expect to see them all. I like to try and see as much detail as possible the only way to do that is to observe an object for more than 15minutes. The other evening I spent well over an hour looking at jupiter, I was trying to see the GRS and any detail in it's clouds, also Io was transiting that night, awesome sight.

This was my list the other night. I was outside for over 4 hours.

Gary.

Well worth spending time on Jupiter. Just a quick five minute glance can be a little disappointing, but spend 30 minutes or more looking at it and all kinds of detail begins to emerge, like swirls in the belts etc.

As has been said, it depends on the objects being observed as to how much time it is worth spending. Some more detailed objects are well worth putting in the time. For example, I spent ages looking at the Veil Nebula down in Dorset, trying different filters and just teasing the detail out. Letting your eyes get properly dark adapted over an hour or so makes such a difference.

I also agree with the comment about astronomy not being a race. I like to feel I have given each object the time it deserves before moving to the next. I do regularly revisit familiar favourites which I have seen dozens, or hundreds of times, just because I enjoy looking at them.

I have a bit of an irrational aversion to making my way through lists of objects, but this is a very good way of expanding your knowledge so is something I try to do. Actually, targeting an area of sky or a particular constellation and working through all the targets in it is very rewarding. Your really get to know the sky that way.

There are no right, or wrong answers, just do what you enjoy.

Stu

I guess starting out there's a bit of a frenzy to see as much as possible - certainly in my case! I soon realised that quality over quantity was the key with a health dose of patience. A couple of nights ago I think I spent something like 2 hours on Jupiter with the newt and SCT trying different mags, watching for changes, etc.. Last night I vowed to see all the Messier open clusters in Canis Major and Puppis before they're gone - not a huge feat of observing but very very rewarding.

Concentrating on one particular area of the sky rather than going from pillar to post works for me. Sometimes I'll use GoTo (when family are keen to see) but most of the time I'll use the Telrad /finderscope as it's great to scan/hop from object to object.

I found 5 new messiers last night, but they were all in Leo, (M65, 66, 95, 96 & 105) to some more experienced people they could of been found within 30seconds, It took me about 30minutes to finally realise i was looking at them, although they were all barely there last night, dont think the conditions were very good, so that didnt help.

It's a hobby, not a race, there is no exam at the end.

You kidding? My whole life is about exams!

Actually, the comments about 'racing' made something click in me - after so much cloud (and looking at the forecast) I think I feel like somehow I've "wasted" a clear night by going to bed to maintain employment, and not running around like a frenzied chicken! Crazy, huh? It's not like there won't be others, and I'm only just starting. And of the many ways of describing astronomy, I'm pretty sure 'frenzied' shouldn't be one of them.

Still, it is interesting to hear how other peoples approaches. I like the idea of just going out and 'hunting' rather than 'looking' as a way of learning my way around - and I'm definitely at that stage - especially as so far I've been viewing in the midst of light pollution, and I think I spend to long looking at where things should be but aren't visible.

(I've spent at least a couple of hours trying to track down M1. I'm fairly sure I was looking at the right place, but I couldn't see a thing that I'd describe as more than wishful thinking.)

Good point about planning sessions in dark sites - I think I see a list coming on...

Maybe I'll just stick with aiming for a few things of an evening then, especially as I'm just starting. I'm really chuffed about catching Ceres last night - I mean, okay, it looked like a slightly yellowish star, but it's the idea - that's a dwarf planet in the asteroid belt. Makes you think! (Thank you stellarium!)

You should go at the speed you like. It's a hobby, not a race, there is no exam at the end.

I generally have two "modes" of observing: "hunting" and "observing." In "hunting" mode, I try to find new objects. Here I try to find whatever new object as quickly as I can, because this expands my knowledge of the heavens quickly, and gives more time on the object itself. Depending on what I find, I then switch to "observing" mode, and try to take in as much detail as I can. If the object is just a tiny little smudge at the limit of my visual system, and spend no more time on the object than is needed to confirm the sighting. If the object shows more detail, I will stick with it for a bit longer. If there are many objects on my target list, I sometimes just make a "revisit" note to keep hunting for more (especially in rich fields of galaxies like Ursa Major and Coma-Virgo). Other nights I spend revisiting old friends, and just enjoy the sights. Recently I spent about 35-45minutes on Sirius, trying to find Sirius-B (got it after trying several different EPs and filters). My "hunting" record is 30 galaxies in a single night (In Virgo, finding galaxies on a good night is like shooting fish in a barrel, I got 8 galaxies in one FOV at one time). Other nights I look at perhaps 5 or 6 objects (I keep turning back to Jupiter when visible).

Relax and enjoy. As you gain experience you will find objects faster, giving you more time on the object.

I agree with Michael, two modes: Observing and Hunting.

Observing, I can usually find quite a few easier objects really quite quickly, so 10 objects in, say, 30 or 40 minutes is no problem. When I'm hunting, I can maybe get 3 objects in an hour (takes a while with lack of guide stars, and that these objects are usually very faint), so on a session I usually get about 4, I'm only usually out for about an hour or so (at the moment my battery life on my laptop is about 1 hour 10 minutes with Stellarium running - my battery desperately needs replacing!).

There's nothing to be gained by "twitching" and flitting from object to object and you'll soon tire of it.

There are some wonderful objects out there which will reward detailed observation.

There's just not enough time, we need clear slies,

Nick.

I try to make a list, but now having a goto i have got lazy and sometimes have a tendency to zip from one object to another, more so if it an unplanned quick session.

But, if I'm out for the a few hours, then I do take my time and observe objects for longer periods, especially something like Jupiter, which no matter how many times I've observed its always a priority to get it in view and try and make out as much detail as possible.

Though I love my goto, the biggest problem is that its like having a sat nav, without one you got lost and found interesting places & things and now you just go from A to B never seeing things you wouldn't expect to see - on that note I think I'm going to drag the newt out so I can't be tempted to keep pressing buttons!

To be honest, Mez, thats the exact reason i haven't yet upgraded to a goto. I dont want to end up just pressing a button to find all the objects, because ill become bored of it.

Ive decided that I'm going to only upgrade once i have found all the Messiers manually, possibly the caldwells. But then upgrade. Then all i have to do is decide what goto to get. I quite like the dob gotos because I can't always be bothered to set up the tripod/mount/weights/scope, but then if i do want to go down the EP road, will obviously be a EQ goto.

I've gone the other way! Started with a basic, driven EQ mount and found my way around. Then I bought a Goto mount which I used for about six years but now use it very rarely. I mainly use an alt-az manual mount, so much quicker to set up and can find most things I want to, as long as they are visible!

I do like having a mount that tracks though, when using high power on planets I find it easier to concentrate and pick out the detail if I don't have to move the scope every few minutes.

Stu

I have to say I do enjoy the goto, but, for me astronomy is about discovery and finding objects by searching for them and that gives you the opportunity to find stuff you weren't looking for, it's a bit like would have Messier found all his objects with a goto or Christophet Columbus discovered America with Sat Nav!

Hey I love my Skymax 127 and everything it does, honest!

Agree with all the comments regarding not hurrying anything. Some sights warrant a proper look! :smiley:

But..... if you want stats, my maximum in one 24 hour period (10+ hours of observing) stands at about 40.

A more typical night may have five or ten objects over a couple of hours. All found using skill, cunning, guile, patience, good maps and very occasionally.... luck.

Archived