Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

stool for a 200p dob?

The FLO stool that I use is incredibly comfortable, vey easy to adjust and has a nice large footprint meaning it doesnt sink into the ground on grass. I believe comfort is one of the most important parts of this hobby. You wont ever see me bending over leaning at an odd angle to get to the eyepiece. I'll line up the scope, stand up and set the stool to the required height and then go in for the kill :)

(we) Don't use a stool, we put the Dob. on a water butt base (BQ ..£11) and it means being able to view comfortably whilst standing. If we need to sit then a picnic folding chair ( £9 Tesco) solves that..not for everyone I know, but it works for us.

Frank

Just use the base as is: also handy when packing up to put things in to carry. So far had no problems with stability due to the weight of the Dob. base and scope. Tend to us it upside down so giving a broader base. There are two different types of base, this is the slightly smaller and cheaper one, and as I say, so far no problems. Have used it on grass in the garden (level-ish) and in a layby near us where it is really dark. Light and strong enough for the job.

The foldaway picnic chairs can be slung over the shoulder in their bag, so hands free.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Enjoy..

Having used a basic drum stool over the years for playing keyboard and then for observing...........they are very comfy. Then again, a bog standard kitchen chair or camping stool will also do.

Ironing chairs are a popular choice.

Anything that puts you in a seated position for observing is going to be better than standing and crouching.

After getting the scope out last night (all be it for 10mins until it clouded over). I realised that unless you're looking at the zenith then the eyepiece does get quite low to the ground, therefore a waterbutt base and a stool looks to be the way to go. Thanks for the posts

Matt

Archived