NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Delohay

Hi peeps

My husband got me a celestron astromaster 130 last year but have been having trouble using it, don't really know what I'm doing.

So it got put to one side for a few months

My husband was speaking to a member on here(unknown to him) on a course for risk assessment in Leicester and said to join this forum so here I am.

The telescope came with some eye pieces but don't understand.

We also have problems finding anything smaller than the moon

What would I expect to see through this telescope

Would like to meet anybody in my area for some advise

I have attached some pictures

Many thanks Mandy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post-29548-136268333452_thumb.jpg

post-29548-136268336082_thumb.jpg

post-29548-136268338874_thumb.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Mandy and welcome - what is it you don't understand with the eyepieces?

All of it !

I use the erecting eye piece to find an object then use the 10 mm on to view

Not got a clue what the Barlow 1.25 does

Is this wrong ?

It also has a red dot eye piece attached but this seems to do nothing

Sorry I sound a right novice but would really like to get the most out of this

Many thanks mandy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Mandy,

Dont worry we've all been there at some point.

Due to the image being Bottom about face the correcting eye piece should right the image to mach what you are looking at naked eye.

Pop a low mag eyepiece in and your away. Centre object in view then change for a higher mag eyepiece. Higher number means lower mag.

The red dot thing, is it on top of your scope? If so its your star finder. Point the finder with the dot in the midle of vlew finder at the moon, or jupiter. Then look though the scope, hopefully object in scope, if not, and it won't be, you will need to adjust the finder up/down left/right with the little wheel adjusters front and back.

Hope this helps.

Im from leicester myself, i dont live there any more but i do still work there.

Good luck.

Hi and welcome.

To answer some of your questions. The lower the number on your eyepiece the higher the magnification becomes. Magnification can be calculated by dividing the focal length of your scope by the focal length of your eyepiece.

Eg. a 1000mm scope with a 20mm eyepiece will give you 1000/20 or 50x magnification. A 10mm eyepiece will give 100x magnification on the same scope.

The Barlow 1.25 can be used with another eyepiece and will multiply the total magnification by 1.25. So, in the case of the 10mm eyepiece example, the magnification will increase to 125x.

Personally, I would start with the largest eyepiece you have. Once you have found an object, you can begin to magnify more.

Hope that helps a bit.

Hi Mandy,

Welcome to SGL.

It sounds like your scope is working if you have seen the moon!

Scopes usually come two eyepieces (25mm & 10mm ??) - start with the 25mm in the scope as it gives a more zoomed out view and will make finding something easier

Save the 10mm until you want to zoom in

With the 25mm eyepiece in the scope, slowly more the telescope until any star is seen in the eyepiece and use the focuser know (turn both ways) to get the sharpest image

If you get this far, then you are ready to play with the red dot finder - ignore until you get to here!

The red dot finder should have several dials that you can turn

* one on top/bottom - used to move the red dot up and down

* one on the side at the front - used to move the red dot left & right

* one on the side at the back - used to switch it on (should hear a click at the on/off position - it will turn further as you can make the dot brighter/dimmer using same knob

* red dot finder uses one of those small silver batteries so if it has been left in "on" position then battery may need replacing

With a star in viewer, you look through the red dot finder (placing your head at the rear of the scope - not too close) and see the red dot against the sky background (with both eyes open)

* hopefully you see a star near the red dot (the one in the viewer) and use up/down, left/right to move the dot onto the star

Finally, move the telescope around so the red dot is on a different star

* look in the viewer and you should see it

Fine tuning may be needed to get red dot and viewer in sync

If you post a picture of the red dot finder, we can see what it is like and offer further help

Hope this helps

Alan

Hi Mandy,

You sound like you're in a similar boat to me. I have recently started looking up as a hobby. The best bit of advice I can give is, grab a Phillips planisphere, download Stellarium and start looking at when there's going to be a clear night. At the moment I'm trying to commit to memory some constellations and other obvious night sky objects with the help of some 10x50 binoculars. I've been told that the best way to get the most out of you're viewing sessions is to plan what you want to see. I would think that if you're looking for something inparticular and know the area around it, you'll be more likely to find it.

As for what you can expect to see, I'm sure someone here will have some previous with the 130

Hello and welcome from me too - I started with an astromaster and when you get used to it, it will give you some fantastic views. Firts of all though, in daylight, try to align the red dot finder (RDF) by pointing it at a far away object then adjusting until you get the same object in both RDF and scope. The astromaster RDF is fairly notorious I'm afraid as being difficult to use, and it might account for your difficulty to track down anything else. I upgraded mine to a different type of RDF which could be adjusted more easily, it cost about £15 from ebay.

if (when?) we get a clear night, take it out and point at the sky - using one of your eyepieces, can you focus on a star? There's a lot to be said for popping in an eyepiece and just cruising around the skies - you'll see some amazing sights and get used to the controls.

I would also second joining a local astro-club - mine was so helpful in getting the astromaster set up and aligned (and they pointed me in the direction of the new RDF).

I hope this is helpful and you are able to enjoy your scope more soon :smiley:

Hi Mandy and welcome to the forum. Well you have certainly come to the right place for help and I'm sure the above comments will help you get and running in no time - but we can't help with the weather! :grin:

Clear skies soon and keep those questions coming.

James

Hi Mandy and welcome to SGL, best thing you have done is to join this forum as there is a wealth of experience for you you tap into, apart from finding a local Astro group to give one to one help, you could also have a look in your local library for Astronomical books, there you should find some guidance on setting up and using telescopes. Once find your feet you are going to want assistance in finding your way about the night sky, apart from the free program Stellarium, a copy of Turn Left @ Orion, available from most good high street book shops, is extremely popular among those just starting in the field of Astronomy, as this will provide information on what to see and how to find it with a small telescope :)

John.

Archived