Delohay

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks peeps

Can anybody give me a link for a better RDF then

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is a good place to go http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Telescope_House_Eyepiece_Finderscopes.htm you will also need a dove tail base shoe for the finder. Meaning you will have to make 2 holes to match the shoe. I got the orion 9*50 as ithas cross hairs in it not a red dot, you decide what's best for you though. But you will need the dovetail base shoe to fasten the finder on to the scope. I also removed the Daft Red dot finder from my Astromaster 130eq. And installed the new finder just up from the eyepiece.

If in doubt email telescope house very friendly indeed.

Can i also suggest you get the Astro Box as its a good bundle of useful starter stuff to get you started. I have never put it down only £20 or under to. planisphere, Star chat, how to use telescopes, and finder chart. So 2 books, star chat and a planisphere, for under £20 make sure to get the northern hemisphere one .

Save up for more eyepieces as well. Like a 15mm and a 32 will be most useful. how to use telescopes explains about how to use different eyepiece and what they are for and much much more besides.

hope this helps,

MrGaza,

Clear sky's.

Just to add about when adding the finder to the scope. make sure your fingers can reach inside ok to where you is drilling the holes and try to cover up the small mirror if possible. Id attach the scope just off the edge so you can attach it ok.

Don't be scared by this i was at first and tried different ways to attach the finder to avoid making the holes. Needless to say it had to be done in the end. But fear not as it did not affect the scope apart from make it work better.

Also did you know you can adjust the eyepiece holder with the big focusing knobs at each side as this is the eyepiece focuser, works best for me if zoomed outwards. Just in case you never new what it was for. It brings the image into focus.

Back to the finder, 9*50 means that the finder has a 9 times magnification.

Also meant to add try getting binoculars 10*50 (if you get bigger than size 50 you will need a tripod of some kind) will do as this will get you more accustomed to what you will see with the scope. The image will be more crisp and a bit bigger in the scope. Binoculars will help you get used to the sky and let you understand what's out there. With relative ease.

you can also get the Astro box at telescope house as well i do believe here http://www.telescopehouse.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2etelescopehouse%2ecom%2f&WD=book%20astro&PN=copy_of_Philips_Astro_Box__Northern_%2ehtml%23a1_21BO279#a1_21BO279

Also you need about 20 mins or more for your eye's to get used to the night sky.

Then you can start to get used to your scope as you will know what you are looking for.

And welcome to the forum.

regards,

MrGaza

Welcome to SGL

There must surely be an astro club somewhere around Plymouth if you need some hands-on help, but I'd definitely work on getting it all set up during the day. The clear nights we get at the moment are too few and far between to want to spend it trying to get things to work. If you can find something a couple of miles away to focus on and work things out that would be great.

James

Archived