Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HELP!!! My new NEQ6 Syntrek doesn't move...

I've just unboxed it, hooked it up to electricity, turned the hand control on. All I can hear is a humming sound. I press fast, and it doesn't slew or move, or slow...it doesn't budge. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to contact the seller??

Have you read the instructions? You may have missed something, i would have a look through them and follow the setup guide.

You may want to check that you have the clutches tightened.

Edit, here is a link to the SW webiste, if you havnt got the manual, it may be worth having a look on here... http://www.skywatcher.com/swtinc/customer_support.php?class1=1&class2=180

Hope that helps :)

Have you read the instructions? You may have missed something, i would have a look through them and follow the setup guide.

You may want to check that you have the clutches tightened.

Tightened?!! I loosened them...I'll check and get back to you. Thanks!

Check the slewing speed that you've got set - unfortunately I don't have the manual to hand to explain how to do it and it's been ages since I used my SynTrek handset so can't remember off the top of my head.

It may be that you have the speed set to guiding speed which is almost imperceptible. Trying setting it to the fastest slewing speed and see if that makes a difference.

It's a SYNTREK, right? Hmmm... It's humming anyway! Is the RED light on... and steady. If so, the voltage is probably OK. Maybe it *is* actually moving, but at the (default) SLOW tracking rate? ;)

RTFM? "Using the GUIDE, SLOW & FAST keys", first switch the tracking OFF, then select FAST for the manual slewing rate. The cursor keys should then move the mount visibly & quickly. Off hand, beggard if I can remember precisely, but...

The manuals are always a tad cryptic! :)

the clutches need to be tightened fully to engage the motors i.e turn them clockwise and then try to move the axes by hand. If they move, you tightened them the wrong way. Then select the fast tracking rate so you can see movement and use the handset to drive the motors around. If you leave it on sidereal rate then the mount only move 15 degrees in an hour

Ok, I press "fast", flashes..Then press arrows and all you hear is whirring. Nothing moves

If you pressed 'Fast' and that button started flashing - that means the mount is in tracking mode and the slew speed is 8x, which is still quite slow.

You should switch it out of tracking mode by pressing the 'Guide' button then 'Slow' button. The fashing should then stop. Press the 'Fast' button and if you've managed to get it out of tracking mode it should be constantly lit, this indicates that it is on the fastest slew speed. Then trying pressing the arrow keys.

If you pressed 'Fast' and that button started flashing - that means the mount is in tracking mode and the slew speed is 8x, which is still quite slow.

You should switch it out of tracking mode by pressing the 'Guide' button then 'Slow' button. The fashing should then stop. Press the 'Fast' button and if you've managed to get it out of tracking mode it should be constantly lit, this indicates that it is on the fastest slew speed. Then trying pressing the arrow keys.

Are you saying, it must be a constant light on the chosen speed, be it ''slow'' or ''fast'' to enable manual control?

Sorted.

It seems that you need to press 2 buttons for a while, then move to different speed buttons. This stops the flashing.

Thank you very much for all your help!!!

Glad you got sorted - for all it is a simple handset, the SynTrek is a bit idiosyncratic if you're new to it or haven't used it for a while.

Get yourself an EQDir adapter asap and run EQMOD on a laptop then you can put the SynTrek handset into a drawer and forget about it :smile:

Glad you got sorted - for all it is a simple handset, the SynTrek is a bit idiosyncratic if you're new to it or haven't used it for a while.

Get yourself an EQDir adapter asap and run EQMOD on a laptop then you can put the SynTrek handset into a drawer and forget about it :smile:

Thanks, Mike. I've got the EQDIR adapter...I'm just planning to put everything together over the weekend. As for today, I thought I could at least test if the mount worked.

Archived