Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What Eyepieces Are To Be Used When Imaging (DSLR)

Hi I'd just like to know what eyepieces are advised to be used for imaging DSO which whilst ion the subject; when is something classed as a DSO. Not within the solar system? Anyway, I'm buying the 200P (don't try to convince me towards the P-DS I'm content). it is supplied with

• Magnification (with eyepieces supplied): x40, x80, x100, x200
  • Eyepiece Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm
  • x2 Deluxe Barlow Lens 1.25"(with camera adaptor)'s included

Copied this from FLO & not entirely sure on what is included... Will this be suitable to begin? I haven't exactly planned on buying a set, and don't intend in the near future, maybe later on in the year if thats feasible? What do you suggest?

Thanks - Alex

Oh yeah not to sure if it was required to say but I will be using a DSLR...

Hi I'd just like to know what eyepieces are advised to be used for imaging DSO which whilst ion the subject; when is something classed as a DSO. Not within the solar system? Anyway, I'm buying the 200P (don't try to convince me towards the P-DS I'm content). it is supplied with

• Magnification (with eyepieces supplied): x40, x80, x100, x200
  • Eyepiece Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm
  • x2 Deluxe Barlow Lens 1.25"(with camera adaptor)'s included

Copied this from FLO & not entirely sure on what is included... Will this be suitable to begin? I haven't exactly planned on buying a set, and don't intend in the near future, maybe later on in the year if thats feasible? What do you suggest?

Thanks - Alex

Oh yeah not to sure if it was required to say but I will be using a DSLR...

Apologies for the small text and spelling mistake of ion - in*

Don't get too hung up on magnification either - many objects are quite large enough without being much magnified. For example, 2 that you will undoubteldy get to quite early on will be M31 and M42 - these targhets are huge!

I use both a T Ring with my Canon 400D and one of those afocal universal mounts (Celestron) that can take a point and shoot digital.

The T ring works well and I am learning quickly what the next steps are. With regards afocal shooting using the UA (that with save me writing universal adapter so many times) you need to be careful.

For EP's I choose larger apetures, I stick with 32, 25, 20 and 17 mm. I found 17mm is the bottom limit to avoid vignetting. I initialy tried using Mrs B's Olympus point and shoot. Not enough control and the focusing was a big problem, the camera controls were fiddly in the dark.

I then used my Panasonic Lumix GF5 with a 17mm F2.8 lens. My other lenses for the GF5 were no use, too long you need a nice flat lens. You have about 60mm maximum between the mounting screw which secures the camera to the UA and the front of the plate it sits on.

The GF5 have a decent sized display for live view. The UA has reasonably fine threaded knobs to control the UP/DOWN and LEFT/RIGHT movement so you can get the camera over the EP without touching it.

Get Stellarium for your computer.

Stellarium has an option called Ocular View, it can be configured by pressing alt + o & used with ctrl + o on whichever object you have selected, this ocular view will represent what you see with your eye pieces, which you can also add as many of as you like in the configuration. Inside this configuration window there is also a tab called 'Sensor', if you put in your DSLR's details here, you can later see what field your DSLR covers with your specific telescope (you have to add your telescope in the 'Telescope' tab, obviously.) If you select 'Toggle CCD' then you'll see the area of the sky your sensor will cover with your telescope with a red rectangle. This will help you with framing whatever you want to image, as you can rotate the rectangle just as you can rotate your camera around.

As I've noticed already when I plugged in my DSLR's details and telescope details some DSOs are simply huge, and according to Stellarium I won't even be able to frame the Andromeda Galaxy!

This is my DSLR attached to the 200p. Using just a t-ring which clips into the camera like any other lens, but then screws onto the scope, once the EP barrel has been removed. This image also has a barlow attached though for an extra big of magnification.

post-21702-0-31785600-1362522869.jpg

Ooh, is that a 190 Mak-Newt?

Archived