NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiters Moons

Having spent an hour or so webcamming Jupiter and watching one of the moons disappear behind it, I went indoors to find out which moon it was. Another one was also visible and by chance I looked in the March Sky at Night mag to see which moons these were. Hmm - nothing shown on the 3rd so went to Stellarium which showed Europa behind eclipsed and Io not far away. Back to the mag and yes, this is shown for the 4th!

For iPhone users, I've found the app JupiterMoons pretty nice - it shows what they should look like around Jupiter (and can flip for Newtonians), and has a list of daily events (transits, occultation, eclipse) including the Great Red Spot transit times. .

For iPhone users, I've found the app JupiterMoons pretty nice - it shows what they should look like around Jupiter (and can flip for Newtonians), and has a list of daily events (transits, occultation, eclipse) including the Great Red Spot transit times. .

An excellent app, nothing else is needed for Jupiter and its moons

I was watching a transit of Io tonight - strangely Stellarium (on my linux box) seemed to be convinced that it was already transiting, when I could quite clearly see that it was not yet. Jupiters Moons app and SkySafari both were spot on though.

A second thumbs-up for JupitersMoons app from me.

Well, an iphone presumably ? :smiley:

Not everybody has one or wants to use one when doing astronomy :wink:

Yeh I get that, but if you have an IPhone and are wondering which dot is which at the ep then this will tell you. It will also warn you, in advance of transits, GRS transits and other events. It has enhanced my experiance by informing what is happening in the fov. By the way, a similar one, also by Sky and Telescope has been released for Saturn, called..........Saturnsmoons

I was watching a transit of Io tonight - strangely Stellarium (on my linux box) seemed to be convinced that it was already transiting, when I could quite clearly see that it was not yet. Jupiters Moons app and SkySafari both were spot on though.
Turn on light travel time delay or whatever the option's called.

Archived