Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 200p Dob - full unboxing review!

Hello all, after considerable deliberation about what scope I should get to replace my rickety old 4.5" reflector, I decided upon the Skywatcher 200p Dobsonian. Well today it arrived and I thought that given the number of questions asked about this particular scope, I'd write a detailed post that goes from the boxes arriving to the scope being assembled and ready to go. So here goes.

The 200p comes delivered in two boxes: one containing the flat-packed mount (and all the bits needed to assemble it); the other box contains the OTA, finder scope, eyepieces (10mm, and 25mm), and 1.25" / 2" adapters. So, expect two fairly sizeable boxes to turn up if you go for the 200p Dob:

post-22599-0-78264100-1362177773_thumb.j

Everything seems well packed in the boxes with plenty of padding etc (the OTA box is actually double boxed).

Starting with the Dob mount, unpacking it gives a handful of wooden pieces, and assorted bags of screws, nuts, bolts, washers, spanners, allen keys etc. At this stage I will note that the list in the instructions about what comes in each bag doesn't match what I unpacked - by which I mean everything was there, but not in the same bags as the instructions claimed they were in. No big problems there.

So on to the assembly of the mount. This is fairly straightforward following the instructions. I will note something that wasn't mentioned in the instructions at this point though, and this may only make sense if you actually go on to buy this scope, but I'll put it in here... there are two circular boards which form the upper and lower of the 'turntable'. The upper of these has a top and a bottom (in other words there is a right and wrong way up) - the bottom has recessed holes for the screw heads to fit into, don't put it the other way up. In all honesty I don't think it would make a huge difference, but you never know.

The trickiest part of the whole assembly is getting that upper circular base attached to the uprights. I found sticking the uprights on their side and putting something underneath (I used my jumper!) to raise it to the right height makes the job easiest.

post-22599-0-70034500-1362178664_thumb.j

Once that is complete, the only other bit that might be worth checking is that the staples used to attach the teflon pads to the lower half of the turntable are well tapped in, so as they don't sit proud at all. Mine were all fine, but it's worth a check, as it's key to the smooth turning of the mount. You can see there are two staples in each of the three teflon pads.

post-22599-0-07823200-1362178901_thumb.j

Next you join those two together, by sandwiching another teflon washer in between them and securing it all with a nut and bolt. Don't forget the plastic tube, and a washer top and bottom. You can adjust how easy it is to rotate the mount with this single nut and bolt... don't tighten it excessively otherwise you won't be able to turn your scope.

The Dob mount is finished off easily by adding the pegs that support the OTA, the accessory tray, and handle:

post-22599-0-65613800-1362179438_thumb.j

The mount seems to be of good quality, and all the pre-drilled holes etc lined up without any problems at all.

The box containing the OTA is well padded, and the scope fits nicely in there...

post-22599-0-08184400-1362179597_thumb.j

The accessory box that is hiding under the OTA contains the finder scope, and adapters for 1.25", and 2" eyepieces. The 1.25" eyepice can be split further to allow cameras etc to be attached (I assume - not into photography myself!). The following photo shows the 1.25" adapter (left), and the 2" adapter (right).

post-22599-0-75630200-1362179780_thumb.j

You can put either of these in the focuser and insert the appropriate size eyepiece. As has been mentioned many times in the past DON'T put them both together to use 1.25" eyepieces. I include this picture as it crops up quite a bit as a suggested problem on SGL, and hopefully this picture will show what is meant. DON'T DO THIS:

post-22599-0-02591400-1362180015_thumb.j

DON'T DO THIS ^

You can put the OTA into the mount now, and attach it using the handles. It makes life easier if you put the handle with the bearing attached on the same side as the focuser. This makes it easier to tighten / loosen the tilt of the scope in the mount.

Moving to the finder scope, first locate the o-ring. It was looped on the finder scope holder for me:

post-22599-0-95470100-1362180238_thumb.j

There are two grooves on the finder scope. Put the o-ring in the forward one (the thinner one), and slide the finder into the holder. You should find the o-ring sits just within the holder, with the three grips of the holder (one sprung, and two screws) sitting in the wider groove at the rearmost of the finder. Pull the silver sprung grip out as you put the finder in to make it easier to get in.

I put the finder in the holder, and then attached the whole lot to the main tube, rather than trying to faff with it attached...

That should just about cover it! Which leaves the final picture of the assembled thing (against a standard door for scale):

post-22599-0-35395700-1362180653_thumb.j

I will stop there at the point of completed assembly, I hope you've found this useful if you're considering this scope. First impressions are very good, and I think I'm going to have a long observing career with the 200p Dobsonian.

Now, where are those clear skies?

Looks good. I've got the same style mount (but for the 10").

Best piece of advice. Lazy susan!

I got the idea from another SGL post, and believe me, the difference is huge! Particularly when manual tracking, the lazy susan is tops, as it glides around far easier and smoother.

Can't recall offhand whose post I borrowed this idea from.

Enjoy your new scope.

great description, mine was delivered a few days ago, can i ask u a silly question? when using the 2" eyepiece do u need to use both the adapters?? a couple of days ago i only used the 1.25" apapter and the 2" eyepiexe and couldnt see anything

great description, mine was delivered a few days ago, can i ask u a silly question? when using the 2" eyepiece do u need to use both the adapters?? a couple of days ago i only used the 1.25" apapter and the 2" eyepiexe and couldnt see anything

I'm not sure I understand the question fully... A 2" eyepiece won't physically fit in the 1.25" hole, so you can't use both. I may be missing the obvious though? ;)

If I have this right, whatever size EP you're using you only use one adapter, not both.

Great post there! my 200 dob arrived yesterday, I gasped when I saw the size of the box lol!!

I started assembling the dob mount last night and so far so good, I'm at the point where you attach the bottom turntable.

Clear skies everyone!! :)

very helpfull post. can i ask, how heavy is it ? could you easily put it in your car for example? it looks like it will take up less space than my sw explorer 130 so if i ever work up the courage i might ask she who must be obeyed if i can upgrade !

very helpfull post. can i ask, how heavy is it ? could you easily put it in your car for example? it looks like it will take up less space than my sw explorer 130 so if i ever work up the courage i might ask she who must be obeyed if i can upgrade !

It's in the region of 20kg in total (base and OTA). I move it the short distance to my garden by simply lifting the whole lot up by the two handles and waddling along. Any further and I would separate the base and OTA (a very simple thing to do) and move them individually, with each part probably being about 10kg each.

With regards car transport, I haven't done it, but I would consider lying the OTA along the back seats and the Dob mount in the boot, or something along those lines - such as lying it in my boot (I have an estate). Basically, However it fits really. And it is fit that is the determinant, not weight.

Hope that helps!

With regards car transport, I haven't done it, but I would consider lying the OTA along the back seats and the Dob mount in the boot, or something along those lines - such as lying it in my boot (I have an estate). Basically, However it fits really. And it is fit that is the determinant, not weight.

Exactly what I do. 3 seatbelts across the back seats. I slide the OTA though them. Dob mount in the boot. Dead easy & works a treat.

I tend to move the scope in the 2 parts all the time. It's just less awkward & I feel less likely to inadvertentlt bash part of it on something.

Lee

there was good skies in south cumbria last night! :laugh:

Ive had some great viewing for the past few nights in Cumbria ! :grin: today is the fiest cloudy day in ages !

:mad: It must be just over me then!!! or am giving in and going to bed too early.

Archived