How to make your images look better without any work

JamesF

Well, not much work, anyhow :)

I took delivery of a new monitor today -- an Iiyama E2473. I've always liked their monitors and as I spend an awful lot of time in front of one when I count up work time and "play" time it seems to make sense to have something I get on with. I also particularly wanted one that had two HDMI inputs so I can feed my imaging laptop onto the same display and/or the Raspberry Pi that my children and I are going to play with.

This new one replaced an E2202 model that I've had for about three years, but unfortunately only had a VGA input so will get relegated to something else (probably obsy duty when I get that far).

The immediate improvement in the quality of my images is stunning. I'm going to have to go and have a look at everyone else's now. I didn't realise I was missing so much :)

James

That may well turn out to be a problem :)

I'm genuinely shocked by how much difference it has made though. My previous monitor was a big improvement over the one I had before that, so either it has degraded over time or the technology is just getting much better.

James

I've just started plugging my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad) in to my cheap 1080P desktop monitor inside for post processing - the screen res is actually lower, but the colours are brighter, higher contrast and the image size on a 24" screen is much more comfortable to view and work with - must be my eyes and age.

My best tips for improving the image are first clean my glasses, then wipe screen to remove the kids greasy finger prints ;) Monitor calibration is probably quite high up the list, but haven't bothered so far..

I wonder how many of us clicked on this, excitedly, thinking that you 'd found some amazing software where you put in all your stacks of data and a totally finished and wonderful image was spat out the other end!! ............................ I know I did!!!! :smiley:

I wonder how many of us clicked on this, excitedly, thinking that you 'd found some amazing software where you put in all your stacks of data and a totally finished and wonderful image was spat out the other end!! ............................ I know I did!!!! :smiley:

Me too! Hehehe.

Sorry Sara :) And Dave too.

James

That looks like a nice monitor James.

How much was it I wonder?

I paid £150-ish including the VAT. Could have been a couple of pounds more. I was tempted by a 27" model, but paying another £120+ for the jump from 24" to 27" was a stretch too far. And in fact I'd probably have difficulty fitting the larger one both on my desk and into my field of vision :)

James

Archived