Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Xbox webcam mod

twelly27

Hi All

i have today modded the xbox webcam that came i did what the post on this website said, how ever when i plug it in to my laptop and load up sharp cam there is no picture, its just dark, will this still be the case when i use it with my telescope? i was going to post pictures but they are bigger then 1MB, any info will be lovely

Regards

Chris

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they didnt remove anything, just put an adapter on and of they went and yes it reacts to the front room light, when i first point it, it shows a big ball and then it seems to adjust in a kind of focus way if you get me

Regards

Chris

Does i show up on your computer control panel as an attached camera? If not, then it could be you need drivers.

Did you get images before removing the lens?

when i first plugged it in this morning it work like any other webcam, i could see myself or what ever i pointed it at

Regards

Chris

ive never really not used my barlow, ive only not used it to view saturn, ive just watched someone mod the webcam on youtube, all they did was remove the small piece of glass inside the webcam, they put it back together and they had a picture this is what threw me off earlier

Regards

Chris

What's peoples thoughts on taking the IR filter off / leaving it on?

My thoughts were that any camera that can be sold at a profit for less than £5 almost certainly doesn't have an optically flat IR filter with the performance that I'd want, so I removed it and replaced it with a proper astronomical one that fits in the end of the nosepiece.

That said, if it's still in place you have little to lose by giving it a whirl first.

James

well when i get some clear sky, when ever that might be :( ill try both ways, it will only take a couple of minutes to fix it back in not a big job

Regards

Chris

i would be interested to see difference in the results of the two filters.

taking the original cams ir filter off cam will make it super sensitive to light and it allow the telescope to see Infrared

If it's too bright with telescope what you can do is put in another IR Filter glass.

I have recently made new mod with the xbox cam and it allows me to view through normal ep.

no need for modding the cam just hold it against ep

well where i mentoned no need to mod the cam i did in way as i removed original ir filter and i put in filter i took out of a cctv cam the same size.

and it works with my telescope so i can see what i am looking at through ep so i can enjoy normal ep views and if want to image out just hold cam to eye piece.

My thoughts were that any camera that can be sold at a profit for less than £5 almost certainly doesn't have an optically flat IR filter with the performance that I'd want, so I removed it and replaced it with a proper astronomical one that fits in the end of the nosepiece.

That said, if it's still in place you have little to lose by giving it a whirl first.

James

Just a quick question on this, there are adapters on eBay with built in IR filters that the seller claims to be "high quality"

Has anyone bought on of these? Are they worth buying or would it be better just to by the adpater without the filter and get a propper screw in filter from an astronomy retailer?

I suspect that they may not be much better than the existing filter but would be interested to know if anyone has used one of these adapters

Cheers,

Shecks

Several people have been talking about them, but I've not heard anything more yet. The nosepiece does look fair value for £13 given that it's anodised aluminium. I guess if it turns out to be rubbish it can be pushed out and a "normal" one fitted.

James

Several people have been talking about them, but I've not heard anything more yet. The nosepiece does look fair value for £13 given that it's anodised aluminium. I guess if it turns out to be rubbish it can be pushed out and a "normal" one fitted.

James

I took a chance and order one anyway, I figured the same that I can just pop it out if it's no good.

Now just need to find a nice little aluminium project box for my "Franken-cam" project :D

Shecks

Archived