Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lazy Susan for dob

Basically Guys I was wondering if it is worth doing this upgrade to the dob mount? I was wondering because i'm about to order a 200p and was thinking of ordering one to come at the same time. (What kind of size would I need for anyone who has one?)

Cheers

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd try it as it is initially as it means drilling / marking the base.

You don't want to be doing that in case you need to send it back for any reason.

Base mod including Lasy Suzan is in thread in my signature

Welcome to the Dob Mob !

I modded my 200P base with a lazy susan and had the 12" Skywatcher which had a factory LS, if I had either of those scopes again I would just keep the factory formica bearings and use Sailcote. Its not cheap but you only need a quick spray every six months so a little goes a long way. :)

i personally couldn't have done it without a cap, if you follow astro babys guide to collimation you will see why, this is a very good guide by the way, look it up it's on here somewhere. re the lazy susan. i was worried about the reviews of the sw 200p dob's base and thought about this myself, but i decided to get it first and test it out. it wasn't too bad but i decided to follow some advise and put one milk bottle washer underneath the main washer between the plates as well as some car polish on the bottom of the upper plate and also i loosened the main bottle slightly and this made a lot of difference. give it a try first. don't start drilling holes in your lovely new scope unless you really have to. good luck!

I modded my 200P base with a lazy susan and had the 12" Skywatcher which had a factory LS, if I had either of those scopes again I would just keep the factory formica bearings and use Sailcote. Its not cheap but you only need a quick spray every six months so a little goes a long way. :)

I'm wanting a smooooother base, modding being the last resort, this sounds good a tad expensive with P&P....anyone know of a cheaper alternative.

If you want cheap and non destructive, clean the base, make sure the staples holding the Teflon slides aren't proud of the Teflon, turtle wax the half of the base that the Teflon runs on and then cut washers from a milk bottle to take the weight off the Teflon slightly... Add one washer at a time and eventually you'll notice the movement free up considerably:D

I went for the lazy susan , a definite improvement and the price of a can of spray , from here http://www.axminster.co.uk/triangle-lazy-susan-bearing-prod20991/?src=froogle get the 300mm round , easy to fit , , a thread i have bookmarked http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/137541-skywatcher-200p-base-smoothness/ has some other options and there is at least one other useful link on this page . Like said previously , I wouldn't do it straight away till I knew there were no problems with it.

I lazy susaned my 200P and it was definitely worth it. I also made a movable setting circle by sandwiching a lronted setting circle between two clear Perspex "donuts" and this sat in between the top board and the forbid board and rotated around 3 bearings and drilled a viewing hole through the top base. This way I could get Polaris in the eyepiece (after levelling the base with the adjustable feet which I also added) and then set the circle to 0 and off I went. I used a planetarium app on iPhone to get the alt/az coordinates and it helped me find a lot of objects.

Now though I have the 200P mounts on an NEQ6 pro and the modded base has been donated to my club to go with an orphaned 200P OTA so that it can be used as a club loan scope :)

I just want to point out that I was going to do this mod to my 200p but later decided not to. I've been told that you have to be extremely careful because over time dirt and grime gets collected up causing some problems. Anyone found this trouble?

I did this on a 6" and feel it might be happening. Still nice action though

Barry

I just want to point out that I was going to do this mod to my 200p but later decided not to. I've been told that you have to be extremely careful because over time dirt and grime gets collected up causing some problems. Anyone found this trouble?

I tried the milk bottle spacers with Turtle wax then a lasy susan but the best I have found is the Sailcote spray, it doesnt pick up grime and dirt like Turtle wax and Silicone sprays and a quick spray last about 6 months.

I tried the milk bottle spacers with Turtle wax then a lasy susan but the best I have found is the Sailcote spray, it doesnt pick up grime and dirt like Turtle wax and Silicone sprays and a quick spray last about 6 months.

Decisions decisions :undecided:

Good point!

I thought I was being paranoid but I put door insulation around mine... Helped with the rumbling noise too :D

post-21341-136146628673_thumb.jpg

Surely over time is a long time and if and when that day comes just buy a new bearing? I've just struck across this mod and am going to do it!!

I'm trying to see if someone has come up with a way to put slow motion elevation gearing onto a dob base. I want to try and do something here as well. Like what you find on an old WW2 AA gun.

Hi, have you used the Salikote on the Alt bearings at all or just the base?

Surely over time is a long time and if and when that day comes just buy a new bearing? I've just struck across this mod and am going to do it!!

I'm trying to see if someone has come up with a way to put slow motion elevation gearing onto a dob base. I want to try and do something here as well. Like what you find on an old WW2 AA gun.

Interesting...

Archived