Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

skywatcher 200p base smoothness

i recently purchased a skywatcher 200p dob as my first scope and im wondering if there is anything i can do to make the base rotation smoother as at the moment its a bit sticky even after ive added some copper slip to lessen the friction.any ideas or mod info?am happy with the up down movement just not side to side when the scope up.

This will work very well. ScopeStuff

Alternatively, if you can find a sheet of thin fiberglass, that should be good too.

I know someone who tried the stuff in the link above on an Orion 8" Dob and he was blown away by the improvement. On the other hand, lubricating doesn't work because it does horrible things to the balance between static and dynamic friction.

I just polished the base bearing with Turtlewax at the weekend and it has made a big improvement to the smoothness of the azimuth movement.

I am going to fit discs cut from PP milk bottles around the central bearing as well but I need to drink more milk first as I need about 8 of the things.

I'm trying to find a decent source of formica at the moment because i'm not gonna pay £25 for a thin ring of plastic countertop...

My thoughts exactly, hence the car wax and plastic milk bottle washers :D

Formica will work too. I used it on my first build and it was just fine.

I've tried car wax too and found it not to work all that well. The reason is that if the scope sits still for a short period the wax tends to "set" a little and the static friction becomes substantially larger, which is really annoying. I experienced that was with a 12" scope. Perhaps a smaller scope would exhibit this less. Regardless, if you get the right surfaces you won't ever need to wax them because they will intrinsically have the correct friction. Don't forget that waxes need re-application, which is a pain for azimuth, and they will exhibit different characteristics at different temperatures.

I found less is more with the car wax. I put on just a thin sheen onto the board rather than the pads and then buffed it shiny rather than leave a layer on there like a lube. Doesn't seem to stick but I have only been out three times since applying.

It is mainly used on car brakes where heat can speed up corrosion. When I was an apprentice many moons ago it was only ever used on brakes, now I have seen it used on everything from gate hinges to bike chains. As a lubricant is has a pretty poor viscosity rating and if used on plastics can scratch and damage them.

Ideally you want something dry that wont attract dust and grit.

I used a 300mm dia lazy susan bearing - its brilliant and very smooth - I used velcro and stuck 4 thick pads of felt to give it some resistance and then used the center bolt to finalise the tension - word of warning, dont lubricate the bearing - it will eventually get dirt in it and it will be notchy until its cleaned out.

Cheers Paul

well i have improved it alot today just by fitting 4 50mm round self adhesive slide glides from b&q on the top of the base(removed the original 3 bushings) and then in the centre i added 5 or 6 old cd's with the original black bushing pushed through and a slightly longer bolt.it now roates alot smoother and small movements are so much easier.not perfect yet though as the centre is a little too high which means there is a slight bit of rock in the base,only when deliberately doing it but its unwanted and i also need a slightly longer and wider centre black bushing to perfect it but all in all i spent £7 for a big improvement so well happy and thanks to everyone for the suggestions.will post some pictures up a bit later.

Archived