Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Equinox 120ED - still being loved?

Haven't seen anything much written about Equinox 120ED scopes recently. I hope they're still in favour and getting some serious use?

I no longer have mine but I appreciate what a fine telescope it was, and probably still is.

Have they become unfashionable? Or merely taken for granted?

Ant ;)

I've only had mine for a couple of months but I absolutely love it.

I am planning a light bucket to compliment it but I couldn't see myself ever parting with it.

The views of the moon through the 120ed and my new nagler zoom are just astounding. Worth the purchase price alone.

Nearly got used tonight and last night, weather put a stop to that.

Generally when moon>50% use the 120ed, otherwise <50 tend to use 250pds. Also when doing a shorter session use the 120.

Overall I'm still keeping mine......until I can afford a 150ed ;)

I love mine too and i am currently awaiting delivery of a moonlite focuser from FLO. If the forecast holds i will be out tonight trying to get a view of saturn and trying out a 3mm radian bought secondhand from ebay and a 7mm and 15mm sky panorama my wife bought me for christmas. But unfortunately due to work early in the morning i will have to stick to the back garden, manchesters light polution and my neighbours bathroom light. :smiley:

I love mine too and i am currently awaiting delivery of a moonlite focuser from FLO. If the forecast holds i will be out tonight trying to get a view of saturn and trying out a 3mm radian bought secondhand from ebay and a 7mm and 15mm sky panorama my wife bought me for christmas. But unfortunately due to work early in the morning i will have to stick to the back garden, manchesters light polution and my neighbours bathroom light. :smiley:

I use a 3.5mm with mine when conditions are excellent and the object will support it but I've never pushed it as far as 3mm. I'll be interested to see how you find the 3mm Radian with the ED120.

I use a 3.5mm with mine when conditions are excellent and the object will support it but I've never pushed it as far as 3mm. I'll be interested to see how you find the 3mm Radian with the ED120.

I have used my Nagler zoom at 3mm on the moon on one occasion.The detail was astounding.Seeing was absolutely perfect of course.

I would expect a radian 3mm would be better but I don't know if the amount of time it would be usable would justify a dedicated 3mm EP.

The 3mm radian showed amazing detail on the moon but 300x was too much for the conditions on Jupiter. Unfortunately the moon highlighted some specs on the ep. I have had a look but cannot see anything on the ep lense. This is probably going to be the last secondhand ep I will buy. :huh:

The 3mm radian showed amazing detail on the moon but 300x was too much for the conditions on Jupiter. Unfortunately the moon highlighted some specs on the ep. I have had a look but cannot see anything on the ep lense. This is probably going to be the last secondhand ep I will buy. :huh:

The small exit pupil that a short focal length eyepiece produces makes the floaters in your eye stand out much more, especially against an extended bright object, eg: the moon.

I had a 2.5mm Nagler for a while but found it was unusable for that reason.

I have used my Nagler zoom at 3mm on the moon on one occasion.The detail was astounding.Seeing was absolutely perfect of course.

I would expect a radian 3mm would be better but I don't know if the amount of time it would be usable would justify a dedicated 3mm EP.

The Nagler zoom seems to be the perfect match for the ED120, just fantastic tweaking out the extra or less optimum mag for lunar, planets and double stars

I remember when it was a battle of two scopes, the Meade 5000 127 vs The Skywatcher EQ120 ... doublet vs triplet - schott crown vs fpl52

I think most of the arguments were mainly from people who owned either and not wishing their scope relegated to second and thus their investment dented :D

Since the emergence of Altair’s scopes and TS Services arrived its all calmed down...

I still love mine and can't see me parting with it anytime soon. I may even treat it to a feathertouch at some point as the focuser is a bit of a let down even after I have tweaked it. However the R&P version now available at FLO is seriously expensive. The 120ED and Nagler zoom is an awesome match.

Archived