Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

another ebay bargain

sparkyjon

For what it's worth I made a snap decision and bought this (the Skywatcher).

That said, the listing makes no mention of it having been kept outside for a month, just that “The telescope has been used and has the normal wear and tear due to usage but it has no damages and still looks new.”.

I'm picking it up tonight and paying cash on delivery so if it's a lemon I'll walk away.

UPDATE

Walked away.

Lovely chap but the chipboard dob base had swelled significantly due to water damage and was warped to the point it wouldn't slew smoothly.

Also the screws in the OTA were rusted, I presumed this might hamper collimation if the adjustment bolts were in the same state, though I didn't check them specifically.

To be honest, if you've got the woodcraft skills to make a new base then it'd probably be worth it, but it wasn't for me.

Oh well, looks like I'm slumming it with 6 inches of aperture for a bit longer.

Cheers

The primary was actually OK, not spotless but perfectly serviceable. Also I'm not sure what the "extras" mentioned were. There was a spiral bound copy of TLAO which would have been nice and gets good resale values, and also a star chart, but no eyepieces aside from the standard 10mm and 25mm kit ones, not the box full of Televues I had hoped for.

Oh and also the crosshairs in the finder were bent.

Yes I agree it should be more honestly appraised, especially on the relisting, but it's not my place to tell him that, remember after all that this is an open forum and I don't want to be too derogatory about anyone. All I want to do is be honest about the item for the benefit of those here.

Luckily I only had to travel from Portsmouth to Southampton to find this out, I'm just glad someone didn't end up travelling from further afield. The best I can do is tell you guys the truth to prevent you making the same mistake I did.

Thanks DeepThought - your comments are appreciated.

I could well have driven from near East Grinstead to collect - I'd have been really hacked off at the thought of a wasted three hour round trip.

Archived