NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What Project Can I Do To Convince My School To Gift Me £200 Towards An AP Set? Urgent!

Hi People, the title is really only a very simple way of putting it... So let me rephrase. I'm in my final year of high school and for the past month have been devising a list to start AP, I've got everything sorted out.. My school has a 'bidding scheme' where you ask for an item to do with your interest and create something to prove your serious about it and the item is bought for you. Now i've been saving for a while, the total price of everything I need is £1,111.90 I will be bidding for two £100 First light optics vouchers. There is a large form to fill and a large section is dedicated to a project you create to show your passion. I don't really have any Idea what to do, and was wondering if you guys have any Ideas?

Thanks - Alex :icon_scratch:

How about something relating to tracking Comet Ison as it develops during the year ?. This one could be big news late in the year:

http://science.nasa....8jan_cometison/

It might catch non-astronomers imagination too :smiley:

I think that is a really good idea.

I would add to the above by suggesting writing a blog about it, submitting articles/images to a local newspaper (even a school newspaper), etc. Anything that is more than just "I want to do this project" and more a "I want to give something to people" kinda thing...? :)

I would add to the above by suggesting writing a blog about it, submitting articles/images to a local newspaper (even a school newspaper), etc. Anything that is more than just "I want to do this project" and more a "I want to give something to people" kinda thing...? :)

I agree - you should include your desire to use this project to popularise astronomy, stimulate thinking, that sort of thing. I believe that they want more science students generally and this could be a way to attract some folks into the field !

Might be fun to raid the chemistry lab and make a cosmic ray detector, explain what those cosmic nuclei are, where they came from and how they have been scattered across the universe, and how from such stellar explosions all things we know and love have come to be made. Tie this in with Orion and the potential supernova at our doorstep and of the nebula of new born stars and no doubt planets. Show some gorgeous pics and sketches and give some distances and age etc and conclude that a top rate light bucket is absolutely necessary to continue investigations :p .

Hi Alex,

I gained my PHD in astro physics 2 years ago. If your are looking to bid for AP equipment may i suggest you gain access to a spectrometer and use the spectrum readings you obtain on deep sky objects (DSO) as a guide to demonstrating the ACTUAL colours of the objects you photograph. Unfortunately Astro Photography is not really a science, and that maybe a hitch to you when putting your bid in. Ifyou need anymore help my email address is below.

Grant......

Cornwall....

Might be fun to raid the chemistry lab and make a cosmic ray detector, explain what those cosmic nuclei are, where they came from and how they have been scattered across the universe, and how from such stellar explosions all things we know and love have come to be made. Tie this in with Orion and the potential supernova at our doorstep and of the nebula of new born stars and no doubt planets. Show some gorgeous pics and sketches and give some distances and age etc and conclude that a top rate light bucket is absolutely necessary to continue investigations :p .

I like this. This would most probably get you your money.

Hi Alex,

I gained my PHD in astro physics 2 years ago. If your are looking to bid for AP equipment may i suggest you gain access to a spectrometer and use the spectrum readings you obtain on deep sky objects (DSO) as a guide to demonstrating the ACTUAL colours of the objects you photograph. Unfortunately Astro Photography is not really a science, and that maybe a hitch to you when putting your bid in. Ifyou need anymore help my email address is below.

Grant......

Cornwall....

I reckon this is a good idea. It'll bring in chemistry as well as atronomy. Also I'm not sure but if the spectroscope could come in within the £200 budget, it's something more concrete than just asking for money towards a big expenditure. Perhaps if you already have a camera you could present an image and the message would be basically "This is what such-and-such object looks like. With a spectroscope, we can also find out what it's made of."

There is a large form to fill and a large section is dedicated to a project you create to show your passion. I don't really have any Idea what to do, and was wondering if you guys have any Ideas?

Thanks - Alex :icon_scratch:

If Astromony is your passion then surely you should be buzzing with ideas , rather than ask for ideas on a forum :police:

Ive found out that you only get out what you put in (im sure thats a law of physics somewhere) and getting somebody else to do your " research " will leave you lacking if questioned on your project.

If you think this is a bit harsh , you should see how hard i am on my kids ;)

Might be fun to raid the chemistry lab and make a cosmic ray detector, explain what those cosmic nuclei are, where they came from and how they have been scattered across the universe, and how from such stellar explosions all things we know and love have come to be made. Tie this in with Orion and the potential supernova at our doorstep and of the nebula of new born stars and no doubt planets. Show some gorgeous pics and sketches and give some distances and age etc and conclude that a top rate light bucket is absolutely necessary to continue investigations tongue.gif .

Mr Cox did this the other night on his 'life' program & I found it fasinating! Just need to find a supplier of dry ice & a way to store it.

Well, as an Assistant Head, you would get my attention if you could demonstrate how you / the grant could have an impact on the learning of others in the school. So consider a project that will allow others to access it, rather than just a personal thing.

All good suggestions above. How about a shorter project maybe more "high school standard" - tracking, graphing, and proving the retrograde motion of mars. Would only take a couple of months at most. It can be padded out with all sorts of interesting info and images about the planet and include an animation taken from a series of images over a few weeks. :)

Got that recorded, I'll have a look at his way.

It really is amazing to watch & realising exactly what it is your looking at (Sub-atomic particles, with your own eyes :shocked: .....or rather the effect they have on their surroundings), once i've sourced some dry ice i'll be building it with my son. Good luck with whatever it is you choose to do.

Steve

I reckon what will win depends very much on what the judges are after, what they see as the scope and purpose of the fund. Previous awards would be a clue there, it might typically go to someone doing charitable work for example, or it might have a tendency to go towards artistic endeavours (in which case an AP project has a great chance), or it might essentially fund extra studies by those seeking top university places, or it could be on just about any other criteria.

Archived