Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO ASI120MM or QHY5L-II for Planetary and Guide

SnakeyJ

There have been some excellent planetary images in recent threads showing results from the ZWO ASI120MM and also the 130MM mono cameras - and I've been seriously considering one of these for as a combined planetary camera and as an entry to small scale LX imaging, on the grounds that later on it should make a pretty decent guide cam. I've just been pointed at the QHY5L-II as a cheaper/lighter alternative. Both use the same CMOS (1.3MP MT9M034 3.75um x 3.75um pixel size) and QE peak at 74%. Broadly they seem to support similar functions, but the QHY is approx half the weight at 45gms and a smaller form.

The QHY5L-II seems to have the advantage for guiding with an ST4 port and it can be mounted directly within 50mm guide rings as a finder replacement. Perhaps the design of the ZWO offers more for adding peltier cooling later on?

Obviously hardware is only half the equation, and software/drivers support will be equally important, but there seems to be very little posted about the QHY5L-II herein

Can anyone point me at an objective comparison of the two or advise on which is better (and if I've missed any important difference).

Thanks for any advice/pointers...

Hi Jake,

Can't comment on the ASI120MM but I have the QHY5L II mono and it is dinky.

The chip gives a really clean image far far superior to my QHY5 no lines or speckles and

fast frame rates.

You can get the technical info & downloads at www.qhyccd.com

cheers

Steve

Support from Sam for the ASI cameras is second to none. You can email him, message him on here or CN and there's a facebook group. Driver development is always ongoing (recent developments include over 200fps at small ROI's). I can't comment on the QHY's, but I'm happy with my MM & MC.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Steve and Stuw - I'm even more confused now both great cameras. Some nice examples on Astrobin Stuw.

I've had a good look at the QHYCCD and there is some good general specification, images and commment within the forums, but not too much on accessories - I believe there is a external heatsink/cooler available or in the pipeline that may redress heat issues in comparison with the higher thermal mass ZWO, but no pictures/detail to go on.

Just found quite a good comparitive thread on CN - http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5640200/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1 which seems to say firecapture support improving.

Hmm, both excellent PI cameras with guide, same sensor, ongoing development of both ZWO and QHY software/drivers. Looks probably fair to say that the ZWO is more widely used at the moment, but not a great deal between the two. I think in this case it's going to be the QHY for the reduced price, weight and ST4 port. The other plus is I can source via Bernard at MA, who seems to have an excellent reputation within these walls.

The price on the

Indeed - in fact if Bern hadn't already sold the colour versions he had at Astrofest by the time I got there, I'd be a QHY5L-II owner now.

The price for the QHY5L-II colour is blinding, especially when you see second hand Toucams and SPC's changing hands for £ 80-90! Might have to add one of these later, but keen to cut my teeth on the mono and do some LRGB and the higher QE look worth the premium.

The other big pro not mentioned above is the abillity to mount this as a finder/guider certainly a good choice for me on the as the 200P, camera, filter wheel are already pushing the limit on the HEQ5 ;)

The price on the

The price for the QHY5L-II colour is blinding, especially when you see second hand Toucams and SPC's changing hands for £ 80-90! Might have to add one of these later, but keen to cut my teeth on the mono and do some LRGB and the higher QE look worth the premium.

The other big pro not mentioned above is the abillity to mount this as a finder/guider certainly a good choice for me on the as the 200P, camera, filter wheel are already pushing the limit on the HEQ5 ;)

The SPCs have much lower QE, so really do not perform anywhere near as good as the ASI120 and the like

Hmm, just heard from Teleskop Service that ZWO (Sam) have stopped producing the ASI130MM and are working on a replacement with a newer sensor. Looking at user experience of new cameras in the forums, I'm not sure I want to be at the bleeding edge as there always seem to be driver and application issues to be resolved first - but it will be interesting to see if this offers a step up on resolution or sensitivity.

The ASI130MM has the edge in solar imaging because I can get full-disk images easily on the big chip. For planetary, you do not need this: the ASI120 is on my wish list, because the chip has an even higher QE (75%) and no pattern noise. You do not need to get a larger chip camera which will replace the ASI130.

Support from Sam for the ASI cameras is second to none. You can email him, message him on here or CN and there's a facebook group. Driver development is always ongoing (recent developments include over 200fps at small ROI's). I can't comment on the QHY's, but I'm happy with my MM & MC.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Any chance of giving us the website from asia forordering this camera, i seen it earlier and cant find it now, europe they charge 300 euro's for one o these! :tongue:

Any chance of giving us the website from asia forordering this camera, i seen it earlier and cant find it now, europe they charge 300 euro's for one o these! :tongue:

Resellers are listed at http://www.zwoptical.com/Eng/Contact/index.asp

Teleskop Service, Astromarket or Teknosky in Europe - I think Astromarket looked the best price wise last time I checked.

For Asia, Astronmagazin in Ukraine gets my vote ;)

I use a qhy5L2 mono and just ordered a colour one to make planetary easier. That one is in the mail.

Compared to the old qhy5 guider, I see about 3 times as many stars and maxim has no issue auto calibrating.

I got it to use in a new OAG setup I'm organising with an ASA 3" corrector, TS giant OAG, Starlight wheel and Atik 11000.

It's the right size and weight for the job. What it does need is an extension nosepiece as the sensor is so close to the front.

I've been buying from Hong Kong -> http://www.tan14.com/gears.htm

robin.

• 8 months later...

Amazing image of the horse head with the ZWO - not what it was intended for, but good work with it!

I've got the colour ZWO, but not really had a good play with it yet for various reasons. I'm hoping in the next month or so to have a better idea of how it performs with Jupiter, and maybe Mars (and maybe Uranus).

James

Archived