Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Red led torch and a laser point pen should i buy ?

Hi i have been thinking about getting a Red led torch can anyone reccomend a good cheap one ?

Are those laser point pens worth getting to point out stars and maybe starhop to my next target, can you get mini tripods for them to keep the beam in place while you aim to that section ?

any cheap laser pointers you would reccomend if thats the case?

thanks again

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I cannot give you much info on a laser pointer, there are a few threads on the subject going at the moment one being will they be banned. I think there is a problem in the way you are going to use one and that is starhopping, I don't believe you will have any control over it if you leave it on and if there are any aircraft in the vicinity you will cause problems. The laser I have attached to my OTA has a detachable trigger which is detached when slewing and can only be switched on my pressing and holding down the trigger. Think of these things if you do get one, don't want to be a killjoy but be careful :)

Jim

Another problem with laser pointers is that many are made to a low specification.

They work fine at room temperature. But in the cold struggle to get going.

Then some eat batteries. Then there is the perceived danger.

I use a couple of Skywatcher red/white dimmable torches.

Quite old technology by now, run from a PP3.

I think I have had them about 8 years. They do the job nicely.

Just seen your reply after posting.

£15 for a torch that lasts for years and doesn't eat batteries?

Seems OK to me.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27cf792054

been looking at this one , only £6.99

I have that one, or it looks exactly the same, mine is called the ScopeTeknix super red astronomy torch. It is actually quite bright certainly more so than my petzl headtorch when set on red. It is quite solid and well built and is good for reading sky maps, planispheres etc.

Laser pens can have their use in Astronomy, so long as proper care is exercised by the user and they do not exceed in the order of 5mW in power output. Sky`s the Limit do a very nice solid metal dovetail base unit that can be used as an additional finder attached to the scope, it also comes with an additional screw ring for operating those pens that have push button on/off switches. a Red head band torch is the one I found the best, both hands free, a good large hand torch, like those mentioned, is also useful for map reading too :)

John.

I bought a small LED torch from Wilko, with 3 AAA batteries included, for about £2.50.

The WIlko's carrier bag it came in had a part with a solid red background - I cut some of the red part out, doubled it up, and fixed it over the end of the torch with an elastic band. It works brilliantly (doesn't fix to my head, though!). I'll use the money I saved to put towards something like a good eyepiece, that I can't bodge up myself.

Should we still be recommending red lights? the forces don't use them because the instance of red colour blindness is so high. They use green light instead. I suppose if you are sure you're not red colour blind it doesn't matter but in general wouldn't it be better to begin speaking in terms of green light?

Should we still be recommending red lights? the forces don't use them because the instance of red colour blindness is so high. They use green light instead. I suppose if you are sure you're not red colour blind it doesn't matter but in general wouldn't it be better to begin speaking in terms of green light?

An easy way to check if you can see red is to look at something red like a red led clock or red on your monitor screen etc.

One of the people on a development project I've worked on is red colour blind, but he manages to work with red lasers in his job ok etc.

But isn't the reason for using a red light because the red sensitive cones in ours eyes are the sensors that are used in darkness rather than the green and blue sensors in our eyes?

This is the ScopeTeknix torch about 7 quid from Ebay or Google it. It is brighter than my headtorch and more useful for reading things and when you need a higher blast of light to find something.

E2_zps77b040cb.jpg

This is the Petzl E- Lite I use and I have one in the fishing bag and one in the astronomy bag. The appeal is getting to the variable red light without having to go through white light and doing that with a good old fashioned moveable lever! It is adjustable as well as being waterproof down to 1 metre, and that red case you see is water sealed. The whole thing fits in your top shirt pocket! Very small and neat but very robust and good on batteries. This is good for general use ( setting up etc ) as the red light is a lower blast than the torch. If you look closely the strap comes with an emergency whistle fitted to it. About £20 -£25 and on Amazon here http://tinyurl.com/ab4rfau

E1_zps6f7da7e3.jpg

Finally the pair together to get a sense of size. The torch is 5.5cm long and the main head of the torch is 4 cm across.

E3_zps800dc2d5.jpg

The combination of the two work well for me, the headtorch keeps both hands free and is very light so you barely notice it on your head. The white lights are very good as well and will help you find all those EP caps that you dropped on the floor......

Where did this come from?

Jim

Members of the forces. The theory being that it doesn't matter to your eyes what colour you choose as long as it's monochromatic so green is as good as red for preserving night vision but less likely to be problematic.

We always used red lights on the ground to preserve our night vision. Green was used in the aircraft as it was safe for the Night Vision Goggles and didn't flare them like red would. Nowadays as most troops have some form of NVG or NV sights on weapons systems the move has been towards the use of green light at all times.

Members of the forces. The theory being that it doesn't matter to your eyes what colour you choose as long as it's monochromatic so green is as good as red for preserving night vision but less likely to be problematic.

Funny that, after using night vision equipment which is green I have actually had to wait till my eye adjusted to see okay whereas red was okay, was worse when using armour night vision screens when driving as you had to use both eyes, open the hatch and I was blind. lol I will stick with red :)

Jim

Funny that, after using night vision equipment which is green I have actually had to wait till my eye adjusted to see okay whereas red was okay, was worse when using armour night vision screens when driving as you had to use both eyes, open the hatch and I was blind. lol I will stick with red :)

Jim

I'll experiment and report back once I've made a decent green light.

How would one go about mounting a small laser pointer pen to a telescope, So that the laser pointer is in line with the optics ?

Do they sell pre made ones or are there any diy methods that are cheap ?

It would not haver constant use just to maybe star hop and aim a little better as i have back problems its tough to bend down low and use a telrad, there are rarely ever any planes over my town and i would always be very careful just incase,

thanks

Archived