Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY5v researched but what guide scope?

I am wanting to get into guiding my ED80 and HEQ5 Pro and the QHY5v is ahead on my value for money research.

However I would like to experiment with the planetary imaging side of the QHY5v as well as the guiding.

My question is, will the choice of guide scope effect my planetary imaging success? ( I have DSLR/reducer for DSOs). I have looked at both the Orion 50mm Mini Guide Scope and been recommended the ST80 also.

Any thoughts guys?

I use an ST80 / QHY5 for guiding - works a treat. For planetary imaging you could try a 2x or 3x Barlow and the ED80. (If you are feeling rich a teleview Powermate of 2.5x or 4x are very good.) I used to use my 50mm finder as a guidescope (with a webcam) and found that it was sometimes difficult to find a suitably bright guide star.

Do you plan on using the guide scope as your planetary imaging scope as well? If this is the case, my guess is the optics on the ST80 may not be suitably corrected, unless its just mono then it would probably be fine. Williams Optics do a nice, fast finder guider as well complete with rings.

Do you plan on using the guide scope as your planetary imaging scope as well? If this is the case, my guess is the optics on the ST80 may not be suitably corrected, unless its just mono then it would probably be fine. Williams Optics do a nice, fast finder guider as well complete with rings.

I was hoping to give it a go as I can only seem to achieve so much with my Xbox cam on the 200P but the main goal is guiding for my DSLR. I wasn't sure it was too much to ask but have read others mentioning imaging with the QHY5v as well.

A DFK21 that could be used for planetary and as a guide cam. Also have a look at the new ASI120MC. Assuming you plan to use PHD for guiding, you would have to just check that PHD will take the ASI. Mono would be better for guiding (and planetary), but then you need filters for planetary so it all starts to get a bit expensive.

I have no trouble at all finding a guide star in my 50mm guidescope with a modded webcam so with the QHY5 it will be a breeze, much lighter and less conspicuous than the ST80 aswell. And for sure keep the guide scope and planet imager separate.

Archived