Feedback & help

Hi

Let me start by saying I am an absolute noob at this so I was looking to find out if anyone can help I have only looked through the telescope that I got for Christmas so I have nothing to compare this with so I was wondering if you could let me know if what I have is any gd. I think what I have seen so far has been great but as I say I have nothing to compare with:-

Ideal for terrestrial and astronomical use, the powerful Celestron Powerseeker 1000 has an optimum magnification of 277x and a potential for 833x; this high-spec reflector telescope lets you view the solar system like never before. Featuring high transmission optical coatings for enhanced image clarity and slow-motion controls for smooth tracking.Optimum magnification 277x.Maximum magnification 833x.Full height tripod.German Equatorial Mount.Aluminium optical coatings.with a Newtonian Reflector optical design. Fully coated glass optical components with high transmission coatings for enhanced image brightness and clarity and slow motion controls for smooth tracking.3x Barlow lens triples the magnifying power of each eyepiece.Includes three 1.25 eyepieces: 3.6mm, 12mm, 20mm plus moon filter.Aperture: 127mm, Focal Length: 1000mm.Weight 7.7kg.Size H83.8, W43.2cm

Also, what can I expect to see through this? I have already seen the moon & Jupiter.

Thanks for any help at all

post-28845-0-10450200-1360096467_thumb.j

Hello and welcome :)

I hope you're enjoying your telescope! The only thing I want to mention is the quoted maximum magnification. I always thought the general rule of thumb for maximum magnification was 50x per inch of aperture (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So your 5 inch scope would give a maximum useful magnification of around 250x. Although this relies on perfect weather. You may be able to magnify more but 833x does not sound right.

The moon and jupiter are definitely great sights, I would recommend trying out the orion nebula next, (thats the best thing I've observed deep sky wise). You can also try pointing it at some of the brighter galaxies, such as andromeda, m81 and 82. More experienced observers can give you better suggestions.

Dan

Kev, enjoy the scope but note that magnification is not the most important element, under UK skies regardless of aperture view observers seldom enjoy good enough seeing and steady enough skies to push magnifcation beyond 300X.

As Dan has already stated 50X is deemed the maximum mag per inch of aperture, although on a Newtonian nearer 30X is often more realistic, unless you have invested in a serious mirror.

Therefore I would advise that you dont attempt to exceed 150X with your scope and enjoy smaller but sharper views, and the objects will stay in the FOV for longer.

Forget the barlow and stick with the 12 and 20mm EP's for now.

Make sure that the system is well colimated and enjoy. A good star atlas and a copy of Turn left at Orion will help as will downloading Stellarium for your PC.

The quoted magnifications are, shall we say, optimistic ;) Your 20mm and 12mm eyepieces should be fine but I wouldn't expect you get much use out of the 3.6mm or the Barlow lens.

Ordinarily an f/7.9 Newtonian is quite easy to look after and get the most out of. You need the mirrors to be accurately aligned with one another to give the sharpest views. This is what 'collimation' is. Unfortunately, to get the f/7.9 (1000/127 = 7.9) in such a short tube, they may have included an extra lens element in the focuser. This can make it quite difficult to get everything aligned but if you are happy with the views you get, then that is all that really matters.

Enjoy your new scope.

Hi and welcome. As has been said the 800x will theoretically be possible but in practice around 200x will be possible. This will still give good views of the planets. I made use of a similar sized scope for many years. This will show the rings and moons of Saturn, the phases of Venus and will open the door to plenty of deep sky objects.

Hi and welcome to the forum. As others have already confirmed above, I would enjoy the views provided by your scope and use it to find objects of interest that will help you with your understanding of the night sky. If you are successful in this you will no doubt upgrade your scope over time and by then you will be better informed of your needs. All manufacturers are guilty of 'enthusiastic' marketing be it in with their specifications of by linking their product with unrealistic colour images of the cosmos, its just something that you become aware of over time! ;)

Clear skies for your scope and enjoy the forum

James

Archived