Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with a Webcam

JimD

Ben_Jim, It does seem to come with some software, as you say. I dont think that i'll be using it though. SharpCap should do the job. (I may well give it a test after i'm ready to go)

Thanks, Ras Skipper, but I had a senior moment I was thinking it had like IP control :sad:

Jim

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah right i understand now.. so my c8 would be a great option for webcam imaging. shame really i need a decent goto mount which is also light (the holy grail lol), so cant afford to keep him ,

will 17mm aperture make that much difference? i have a budget of £200 for the ota , might get lucky on an 127 second hand..

see how much i can gather from selling lord vader and a few ther bits and pieces.

The C8 would be lovely for webcam planetary imaging. You don't need a GOTO mount though. I use my EQ3-2 with the aftermarket motors for my 127 Mak. You'd have to ask around to check but an EQ5 might take the C8. You might be able to pick one of those up with motors for £200-ish. I thought there was one in the classifieds, but it seems not.

I can't find any information on the size of the central obstruction for the Vixen, but all the comments say it's very big. For the sake of argument and because it's the ratio of the larger Vixen scopes of similar design, let's say 40% of diameter or 44mm. The 127 Mak has a central obstruction of 40mm as best I can measure it. That means the Vixen has a total light gathering area of 10164sq.mm (ignoring the vanes) and the 127 Mak has 14529sq.mm, or 43% more. Even if we were very generous to the Vixen and allowed a 35mm central obstruction the Mak would still have over 33% more useful light-gathering area.

So yes, that extra 17mm makes quite a difference.

James

Its crazy when you say it like that. You never really take into account all those things.

Unfortunately i don't have funds to buy a mount thats why Im trying to sort out a totally new set up.. I also want to buy everything new as the last two things I've bought second hand have had electrical failures. Lol jinxed or what

And i do want it small and light due to my ankle being messed up at the moment and possibly long term issues with it.

Im considering the option smart eq and a mak now hopefully a 127 as i think that would be the limit for that mount.

250 posts i think I've only just acquired my edit button..

A long way to go, then! Seems a bit over the top to me, but I suppose they know what they're doing (this forum seems to be devoid of any trouble, which is pretty unique in my experience, and which is a very good thing).

OK, I've got the webcam lens out, and disabled the LEDs (well, destroyed them :grin: ).

According to received wisdom the next thing I do is attach a piece of 1 1/4" diameter pipe to the front so it can slide nicely into the focusser. However, B&Q only have 32mm (too big for the 1 1/4" focusser adapter) and 40mm (too small for the 2" focusser adapter).

Can anyone point me in the direction of some genuine 1 1/4" external diameter plastic pipe?

You may find that the push-fit and solvent weld versions of the 32mm pipe are actually different outside diameters and that if one doesn't fit the other will. Failing that it may actually be less hassle to buy a nosepiece and use that.

James

You may find that the push-fit and solvent weld versions of the 32mm pipe are actually different outside diameters and that if one doesn't fit the other will. Failing that it may actually be less hassle to buy a nosepiece and use that.

James

Hi James, yeah the push fit and solvent ones are different, but neither is the right size. When I checked the post where the DIY fitting came from, the guy is from the US, who are obviously still on imperial sizes, so maybe I do just need to put my hand in my pocket and buy the proper thing (though FLO seem to be out of stock of them at the moment).

Has anyone in the UK managed to find a suitable pvc pipe?

I had got the pipe from BQ. Thought I could sand it down. Then the serendipitous moment I walked passed my vacuum cleaner...Hey, I thought, I wonder what size the plastic tube extension tube is?...1 1/4" :grin:

Any old 35mm film canisters laying around...thats right, you got it...1 1/4" too :angel:.

Hi James, yeah the push fit and solvent ones are different, but neither is the right size. When I checked the post where the DIY fitting came from, the guy is from the US, who are obviously still on imperial sizes, so maybe I do just need to put my hand in my pocket and buy the proper thing (though FLO seem to be out of stock of them at the moment).

Modern Astronomy have them (near the top of their accessories page). Looks like they're becoming a little less common now the SPC900 is harder to get hold of.

James

So, X Box cam arrived yesterday and I've been experimenting with the original lens. Unfortunately, clouds are getting in the way of any meaningfull tests.

Good pictures of the back garden, though. :sad:

:)

Good advice (SGL is the best place for that :D)

. After trying random webcams out it seems like a bit of a lottery as to which ones - out of the cheaper models - will be good for astro. I do know that even though the xbox is very cheap, and your results will lead you to look for a better one, if you find its something you'll enjoy, it is still a very good introduction to webcamming.

For the 20 pound mark u might be able to get a microsoft 'studio' or 'cinema' lifecam, a little more difficult to modify but ive seen good results from them, as well as the ps3 eyecam - theres a thread somewhere...

Some logitechs are getting used but not sure which ones work best. I believe someone has kept a list somewhere, it might be worth a google search.

After that it jumps up to silly prices for toucams and spc900's - though i think they still out-do the 'digital eyepiece' types that often sell for more than the webcams regardless of the claims that their chip is the same or better. These digi ep's havent produced any results that ive seen that are better than the popular webcams - so far, anyway.

Fingers crossed anyway, hope u get it sorted.

Enthusiasm is worth a hundred webcams! :p

Regards

Aenima

Well would you believe it.

Approximately 5 feet away from where I've been sitting typing this, in the drawer where my old 35mm SLR still lives, was a plastic film cannister. Just been down to the scope and it's (as stated) a perfect fit! :blink:

I struggled to find a SPC900 then I read an article saying that the Logitech 400 pro was worth a go , so I did , theses where taken a few nights ago with said Cam

Nice pictures.

Are you using an IR blocking filter? If not, you would find that getting one cuts down the overall pinkness.

Nice pictures.

Are you using an IR blocking filter? If not, you would find that getting one cuts down the overall pinkness.

I've left the original IR filter in (and just removed the webcam lens.

Archived